No announcement yet.

Okay, Linux Gamers Are REALLY Excited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, Linux Gamers Are REALLY Excited!

Phoronix: Okay, Linux Gamers Are REALLY Excited!

It seems as if Linux gamers are indeed really excited for having new games on Linux, well, "really excited" may still be an understatement. About 24 hours ago we talked about Heroes of Newerth, a game being developed by S2 Games, was coming to Linux and we were able to hand out beta invitations to begin playing the game immediately as part of their closed testing process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

could u send me a betakey, too please. i want to help gaming on linux in any possible way.

Comment

Are you picking the people who get the keys randomly? I don't wont to be "that" guy but my post was #33 on the thread and I haven't got any PM yet. I'm getting worried... :S But if it's done randomly i understand.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Macint View Post
        Are you picking the people who get the keys randomly? I don't wont to be "that" guy but my post was #33 on the thread and I haven't got any PM yet. I'm getting worried... :S But if it's done randomly i understand.

Thanks.
        I guess Michael has just overseen your post or something. In case he still doesn't send you a key for whatever reasons, let me know your email address and I'll invite you.

Comment

The more interesting news about all of this is that Phoronix was late in getting the news and beta invites. Sites like slashdot and linuxgames gave out keys weeks ago to Linux users.

So it would seem that there are a lot more Linux users that are interested in games than even I could have anticipated.

Also, I have 6 beta invites left if anyone is interested just send me a personal message.

Comment

We have unlimited beta invites basically, everyone should be getting them. If you posted a message in the original thread and didn't get a key in your inbox, post another message as I likely just didn't see it or something. Make all beta requests in that thread.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hey!
              Thanks for all the care!
              Got my key and played with the game. It worked without any special care on my arch linux AMD64bit (lib32 compatibility installed, tho' i'm not sure if it's needed?). I'm from europe, so got ugly ping times, but created a 'noobs' game with an eastern US server, put EU in the game name and played a 'no-lag' game quickly without problems! Looks decent and runs nicely on my 8800GTS all maxed out 1280x1024.

Comment

Please pm me a betakey, thanks

Comment

Before you get too excited like I did, note that the game requires
                  OpenGL 2.0 support. So the open source radeon drivers did not work for me .
                  Install was fine, but when I ran the game it crashed with an error with something about opengl 2.0 not found.

Comment

Oops just saw where it said to ask in the other thread. :P
                    Last edited by DixieRoadrash; 23 July 2009, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X