Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X_m7
    replied
    I think it'd be interesting to see how the 6nm and 7nm APUs compare at lower TDP settings too, in my case I don't mind low quality settings and framerates anywhere near as much with the Deck's small screen so I tend to push them down as far as I can go, and as a result my Deck ends up being configured to run at 7W TDP or under most of the time.

Although I'm guessing that might be hard to test outside of gaming mode? Don't think I've seen anything on how to change the TDP limit in desktop mode without resorting to using root access at least.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    If you intend to keep your Deck more than a couple of years, you should go with LCD. Yes moving pixels help with burn-in, but what Q/OLED producers don't want you to know, is that the whole panel degrades over time because it's made from inherently unstable organic components (unstable meaning they break down in the order of months - faster the more they're used moving pixels or not). While LCDs tend to do this gracefully by simply dimming over years, OLEDs change color over time, because the blues will degrade first. If you're like me and keep monitors (or any given device with built in displays - I have a laptop from the Sandy Bridge era still) for 5+ years or so, avoid OLEDs.
    Last edited by stormcrow; 05 December 2023, 07:59 PM. Reason: added the ()

Leave a comment:

• fong38
    replied
    Would've been neat to see thermals as well but it's a good benchmark regardless. Personally I'm already pretty happy with my LCD model and with the (for me) only appealing additions being the oled screen and bigger battery I might just hold out until the Deck 2.

Leave a comment:

• The Performance & Power Improvement Of Steam Deck OLED's 6nm APU

Phoronix: The Performance & Power Improvement Of Steam Deck OLED's 6nm APU

The Steam Deck OLED has been on the test bench the past few weeks at Phoronix. The HDR OLED display of the updated Steam Deck handheld game console is gorgeous and was very impressed by it. On a technical level the battery life improvements are significant and one of the items I was most curious about were the power/performance implications in moving from the 7nm Van Gogh APU to a 6nm die shrink version of it while retaining the Zen 2 CPU cores and RDNA2 integrated graphics. Here's a look at the performance and CPU power consumption between the Steam Deck LCD and Steam Deck OLED models not only for gaming but other Linux workloads too.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X