• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

I disagree with this point.

It doesn't problem, because it doesn't target the entire market. Apple's share has risen beautifully in 15 years, from 3% to 21%. And their products are quite expensive therefore less accessible to most of the world than PCs.

It doesn't tell you it's best for gaming, it doesn't tell you it's best for corporate offices or authority offices. It doesn't tell you it's cheaper.

They chose their path and within that path they deliver a quality product. And people have appreciated it.
    ​​​​
    Apple is doing extremely well and doesn't even need to worry about the market. The market is already theirs for the taking. And as the world shifts towards computers as appliances with fully soldered-on components, Apple's share is only going to increase even more because they practically created this segment.

Steve Jobs said it more than a decade ago and it still rings true: Apple and Microsoft make up almost 100% of the (desktop) OS pie.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

In your opinion, based on your subjective intuition with bias towards Microsoft and NVIDIA corporations.
    Really?

Windows has been using signed drivers and signed kernels since 2006. When did Linux even start doing so?

6 years later, and it was dragged into it kicking and screaming because of Secure Boot requirements.

And to date desktop Linux still doesn't have the equivalent of the Windows Sandbox.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Originally posted by loganj View Post
    i was so surprise to see the survey on my steam deck while i had no internet connection available.
    There is a little bit of Gabe's brain matter in each Steam Deck, so he will know once the survey is completed even without internet connection. It all good.

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied
    i was so surprise to see the survey on my steam deck while i had no internet connection available.

Leave a comment:

• avis
    replied
    Originally posted by J.King View Post
    Have you seen Microsoft's QA in recent years? I'm not sure they have much of an edge when it comes to serious or embarrassing bugs. If anything a vendor distribution can smooth over a lot of regressions. It certainly seems to be working for Valve.
    2 billion users vs 30 million users and Windows' QA/QC is still miles ahead sans for anecdotal evidence.

I'm in touch with roughly 50 users running Windows 10. Not a single one of them has had any issues over the past 8 years. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Over the same time period Linux has had a couple of bugs leading to data loss (I'm not even counting ZFS), Linux stopped booting for thousands of systems, a bug which I painstakingly helped debug and had a ton of other issues.

Again, people here love to pretend that Linux is relatively bug free but as a kernel bugzilla maintainer I can vouch that every release comes with at least three to five dozen critical bugs because unlike Windows, all Linux drivers are part of the kernel. NVIDIA users have the luxury of using any kernel they want, not so much for Intel and AMD.

And support for bleeding edge hardware in Linux is just bad. I bought my all AMD laptop in May this year, only two kernel releases later it became fully functional. Then current kernel release was simply unusable.

Guess why people continue to choose Windows. It works out of the box.

Leave a comment:

• avis
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

They can't. The purpose of the survey is not just to know which version of the steam client is connected to their network (i.e. knowing which OS); developers need to know more than just what OS is running on the machine, they need to also know things like what CPU/GPU, how much Ram, what screen resolution, etc, and Valve can't poll that kind of info without permission from the user.
    The vast majority of people wouldn't mind.

The collected info is anonymized anyways and even if it's not, it's not something that can be used for profiling you or against you.

Google does that for 2 billion users. I've not heard anyone complain. And smartphone info can be used to track you.

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Originally posted by guglovich View Post
    Another statistic that never comes out) On Windows it was occasionally or almost always and even annoying. On Linux 2-3 times I've seen the poll.
    on windows you wanted to game, on linux you want sympathy points for using it.
    its not a stat, its psychology

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by avis View Post
    Valve must poll all the connected systems, until then it's fortune telling by people using pitchforks as an argument.
    They can't. The purpose of the survey is not just to know which version of the steam client is connected to their network (i.e. knowing which OS); developers need to know more than just what OS is running on the machine, they need to also know things like what CPU/GPU, how much Ram, what screen resolution, etc, and Valve can't poll that kind of info without permission from the user.

Leave a comment:

• Beryesa
    replied
    (wth is going on in comments, chill a bit folks.)
    Regional surveys could be useful. In my region, there're more Linux users than macos (not just gaming), but I doubt everyone plays games

Leave a comment:

• ET3D
    replied
    It would be very helpful if Valve separated the stats by region, or at least made sure that it surveys the same number of people from each region in each month.

(Edit: The second option is useful for enthusiast stat tracking, but not for developers. Developers could really use stats by region.)

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
    It just amazes me how the best desktop system (the most trouble-free, with the best software, the fastest and safest, plus you can have it for FREE) that is Linux
    Because it's not, especially when it comes to gaming. People use what is convenient. Valve is doing a good job making Linux more accessible to gamers, but if you choose Linux you're still going to face more compatibility problems.
    Last edited by ET3D; 03 December 2023, 07:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X