Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Announces The Steam Deck OLED With Upgraded Display, 6nm APU & Larger Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question - If I were to buy a Steamdeck Oled, and install opensuse tumbleweed on it (let's say early 2024 - kernel 6.7 / mesa 24.0), could I expect it to work fine?

To be clear: yes, i understand that an interface built around default use of gamescope would not be configured.

But could I expect all the Human Interface stuff to work seamlessly, without drivers install or technical config?
    Specifically:
    Would the thumpads/thumbsticks/trackpads/buttons - all be recognised as an 'SDL gamepad'?
    Would the gyro's work to automatically reorient the desktop into portrait/landscape depending on how you hold the device?

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
      Another problem I have with steam (if I understand that right). I can only play one game at a time on one computer right? So I can't give the deck to my son, play a purchased game, while I'm even logged into my account on my PC right? Not even if he gets his own account and I family share him stuff. There is an entire library lock if one plays games. Right?
      No, you can play other games in your library while sharing with a family account. You can't play that one game from your library that is being played on the other account.

Comment

Originally posted by arabek View Post

No, you can play other games in your library while sharing with a family account. You can't play that one game from your library that is being played on the other account.
        Really? I found this in their FAQ
        Can two users share a library and both play at the same time?
        No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

When I authorize a device to lend my library to others, do I limit my own ability to access and play my games?
        As the account holder, you may always access and play your games at any time. If you decide to start playing when another user is already playing one of your games, he/she will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

And I found users reporting this exactly how I understand it: If one plays, the entire library is locked. You may get around that by putting the Main account in offline mode. And people suggesting making more then one account to separate games that would be played simultaneously.

Do you have experience with this?

Comment

And I found users reporting this exactly how I understand it: If one plays, the entire library is locked. You may get around that by putting the Main account in offline mode. And people suggesting making more then one account to separate games that would be played simultaneously.

My wife uses my shared library. If I play, my games vanish from her library. Once I stop playing, they pop back up.
          So yes: the whole library is locked, not just an individual game.

Comment

In addition to offline mode, another option is to just switch off your wifi before starting a (singleplayer) game.

Last time I did this, Steam did not care. It just started the game, and does not require relaunching steam like offline mode. I believe others sharing your library can do this too.

Of course, if you want to play together without LAN, you have to buy another copy of the game, which I am personally *much* more inclined to do since Valve isnt being a draconian jerk about launcher DRM.
            Last edited by brucethemoose; 10 November 2023, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
              In addition to offline mode, another option is to just switch off your wifi before starting a (singleplayer) game.
              I think this only works, if the game has not implemented any Steamworks License Check at all. Which might be pretty common. IDK.

Comment

This is definitely well played, it's a nice touch-up update and they realized a soft-upgrade has to come because it's doable but also many little things that really boost things that you just can't delay for so long until the next big upgrade. Someone made a list of all of them on page 3 I think, this is definitely more than just OLED and it makes damn sense to do it while you're at it. They also made sensible decision which old models to keep for the forseeable future, 256GB LCD middle ground and not the 512GB LCD as that wouldn't have been a price and feature difference big enough with the 512 OLED model. I think for a total newcomer to the hardware market, this is extremely well thought out and prepared, it just means the management is very much in touch with the industry and prepares the teams well so that even if you're trying first.
                Still salvaging the open-source projects to make this thing come to life, the linux stuff, vulkan, middlewares, etc, you can't just replicate Microsoft as a side project and hire 1000 people to make a new OS on a whim just like that, so I think people should be a bit laxer on complaints on the whole software quality/features/stability/bugs side. Open-source is free and you can't expect full enterprise battle-tested astronaut-grade experience on day 1 and Valve has to cobble things together and also put their own programmers to improve these community projects and it can't be done overnight.

Comment

Great balanced update. Little things to make a more compelling buy for those who haven't already bought one but as an owner of the original I don't have FOMO like a higher horsepower update would have given.

Comment

now it really only lacks one killer feature: being sold on the country I live in...

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                      I want a reason to buy this, but I only play a few games a decade.
                      That's how I used to be. Now that I have a SteamDeck, I have actually finished a couple games already. It's nice that I can just hit the power button and the game/device sleeps instantly. Then when I want to play again, I just hit the power button and after a few seconds, the device wakes back up in the game right where I left it. It works really great for single player games. Got five minutes, play a little bit of the game. Eventually, you beat the game. Otherwise what would I do? I would pull out my phone and try go through the same websites over and over hoping for something new worth reading. I've been playing the Final Fantasy pixel remaster games. I never got to play them when I was young. The SteamDeck has changed gaming for me. Maybe it can change gaming for you too.

Comment

Working...
                      X