Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Announces The Steam Deck OLED With Upgraded Display, 6nm APU & Larger Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been a steam hater since steam existed. But I'm so amazed, what Valve did for Linux. I installed Steam 2 Weeks ago on some throwaway Email to test the FSR3 Forspoken Demo and ... thats it. I'm registering a proper account and will buy this thing. Please let the Oled display have VRR. *edit* Ok, just seen the LTT review and he says no VRR. He even asked Valve, they said because they use MIPI instead of eDP they can't support it... ;_(

Then I will register my decade old Humblebundle steam keys...
    Last edited by Mathias; 09 November 2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emansom View Post
      Zen 4c cores would've been nice. Maybe in two years.
      Although there isn't much public data, I think zen4 is preferred core for core. However, a hybrid approach might be nice. If they could do 2 Zen 4 plus 4 Zen4c, that seems like it could be a better bet than just 4 Zen4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
        I've been a steam hater since steam existed. But I'm so amazed, what Valve did for Linux. I installed Steam 2 Weeks ago on some throwaway Email to test the FSR3 Forspoken Demo and ... thats it. I'm registering a proper account and will buy this thing. Please let the Oled display have VRR. *edit* Ok, just seen the LTT review and he says no VRR. He even asked Valve, they said because they use MIPI instead of eDP they can't support it... ;_(
        Then I will register my decade old Humblebundle steam keys...
        i was exactly the same i did avoid and boycott​ valve steam in the past until they started supporting linux. now i have like 250 games in steam.-
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

It's a N6 shrink of the mostly the same SoC + RAM speed increased to 6400MT. Quite good as for mid-cycle refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by emansom View Post
            Zen 4c cores would've been nice. Maybe in two years.
            if Qualcomm is able to push Windows on ARM in 2 years, then maybe arm chip for long battery life

Comment

Will they now care about Kwin having good HDR support or they will still care only about Gamescope?
              It would be nice if they would give grants to both KDE and Mozilla to bring and polish HDR support on their sides!
              Maybe they can do it as Christmas gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Will they now care about Kwin having good HDR support or they will still care only about Gamescope?
                It would be nice if they would give grants to both KDE and Mozilla to bring and polish HDR support on their sides!
                I think their approach is to spend developer time to implement features themselves rather than donations. That's how they've been operating at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Their core business is games, and steam. KDE and desktop mode it's an addon. I don't think it's in their roadmap, they have their things to do. BUT what valve does inspires other DE devs to watch and learn and act. So soon we might be there universally not just on KDE. Chrome OS also switched to wayland may be that will improve situation as well.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    The APU in the newer node and 25% bigger battery must give a nice bump in game time. Unless if the new screen have a much bigger power consumption.
                    An OLED is bound to use less power, particularly for darker games. Unlike an LCD, OLED power consumption correlates to how bright the image is.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 09 November 2023, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I want a reason to buy this, but I only play a few games a decade.

Comment

Working...
                      X