X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marlock
    replied
    performance governor:
    not only it will eat up the battery faster, most Steam Decks gave an annoying cooling fan that would become even louder... in principle it would be ok to​ increase power consumption while plugged in or docked, but the extra noise might be too much... maybe when docked it will still be bearable because it will sit farther away from the user's ears, but when held this looks like a devilish recipe

mitigations=off:
    i think it's fair to assume people who bought a Steam Deck and run SteamOS on it will not be happy if their Steam account is hacked into and highjacked? some of those mitigations are remotely exploitable... Steam is a browser... and Steam overlay offers access to external websites, not just Valve-controlled content... these mitigations are not *all* for vulnerabilities that a single-user system wouldn't care about

kyber:
    can anyone comment more on what this is and why it's interesting?

Leave a comment:

• Draget
    replied
    For battery powered devices, I do not want the best performance. I want reasonable performance at maximum battery life. Of course, when plugged in/docked, it should switch to more powerful settings.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Can SteamOS call a script to execute profiling of binaries? For example schedulars, tweaks, logging etc.

Seems like an obvious feature.​

Leave a comment:

• AlanSMac
    replied
    Interesting post. Especially for those of us who often play docked and want performance over battery life. It would be great if there was UI toggles for the governor and no mitigations especially since it will vary by game.

Leave a comment:

• Snaipersky
    replied
    Seems the main advantages are to mitigate regressions from the 3.5 update, rather than push higher than seen previously. I think the integration of something like game mode to manage the CPU scheduler, rather than leaving it at performance.

Tangentially, I think a scheduler similar to conservative, but biased toward maximum speed instead of minimum, would be of great benefit for handhelds. Schedutil keeps showing that it is erratic, ondemand is slow in its frequency changes, and performance has a higher idle drain than others.

Leave a comment:

• sniglom
    replied
    Thanks for the benchmark. Could be a bit more verbose that mitigations are turned off. René Rebe found that turning mitigations turned off may cause illegal instructions on Zen 4.
    Would be interesting to see how this performs compared to the tweaks done using cryo-utilities.

Leave a comment:

• billli11
    replied
    I also interested to see if using amd-pstate driver will have any effect on battery life and performance. Now that SteamIS had updated to kernel version 6.1.52.

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    I think benchmarking this would be interesting, as it will have the latest kernel and mesa from Fedora.

Bazzite is an OCI image that serves as an alternative operating system for the Steam Deck, and a ready-to-game SteamOS-like for desktop computers, living room home theater PCs, and numerous other h...

Leave a comment:

• X_m7
    replied
    Originally posted by avis View Post
    So, here's the magical script:

3. Tuning Multi-Gen LRU which is applicable probably only for RAM constrained scenarios.
    I don't think that change would actually do anything at all, since on my Deck with SteamOS 3.5 (with no system level tweaks applied, I haven't even gotten root access on it yet and don't plan to) MGLRU is already enabled, and that min_ttl_ms value is also already set to 0, which is the upstream default anyway. And of course on SteamOS 3.4 it would still be pointless since MGLRU wouldn't be in that kernel version anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Linuxxx

Leave a comment:

Working...
X