Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo Frankie Game Gets Updated, Version 1.1

Phoronix: Yo Frankie Game Gets Updated, Version 1.1

Yo Frankie, the open-source video game that was developed around the Blender modeling software, has received its first major update after reaching version 1.0 some seven months ago. New in Yo Frankie! v1.1 are three new maps (thanks to a map design competition), various game improvements, updated game logic based upon Blender 2.49, improved frame-rate performance, various clean-ups, and there is now a loading screen to appear between levels. Some of the Yo Frankie! game clean-ups include the Blender3D files, materials, textures, and unfinished game levels. This new version of Yo Frankie! is available for a free download on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows platforms from their project web-site...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No-blood option?

I asked this in their blog to no avail. Does in anyone know if there is a way to disable explicit deaths in the game? (I am thinking of little kids, the game is mosltly naive but seeing Frankie drown and close his eyes underwater is a bit too much for little kids -- I am not complaining, just wish this would be configurable, and perhaps it is and I missed it)

Comment

I did not see any option to disable it.. but it's open source, just implement one yourself if it's bothering you.
      You could also just get rid of the whole "drowning event" and let the character respawn or whatever happens when it dies, right away.

Comment

I just tested this version... whereas the original level was pretty okay, the other levels were somewhat buggy, I got stuck every two minutes and had to restart the game.
        An exception was the level nuts, which had a great level design IMO and was pretty easy to do (I did not yet finish it because this has some bugs too, even if not as many as the other two).

I think it was a pretty bad decision to release this version in its current state, two of the levels are just unusuable in this state; I do appreciate the great work the yofrankie devs and the level designers have done though, it just needs some polishing

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
          I do appreciate the great work the yofrankie devs and the level designers have done though, it just needs some polishing
          polish? it needs a coat of paint.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            polish? it needs a coat of paint.
            Actually it needs someone to go through and fix all of the damned compiler errors, but if you need a rapid prototype the BGE is a good solution, which was basically the point of Apricot.

Comment

Working...
            X