Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve To Launch Native Linux Game In July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAXX View Post
    You realize that Steam=Valve=Halflife2=Source, eh?
    Valve is just 1 developer, good job you figured it out. Whats your point? You think appealing to the group that maintains steam will get you more native games? May as well write letters to mcdonalds to make pepsi bring back crystal pepsi.

Ill ask again,

As it is now what benefit is there for steam to bust their asses and spend the money?

Unless some developer has secretly told them some new big name games will be coming with native clients or valve has secretly decided to work with linux theres no real benefit for them. Porting over old games will make some money but likely not enough to make it worth it like a new game would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      Not spreading fud. Has been like this since ages and is still the case today... on various machines. Steam simply refuses to start if there is no connection. Fails to find the internet ( if it's unplugged like on a laptop in a train ) and then dies. But I won't argue any further with steam trolls since for them their mighty Steam can not be faulty. Heard this tons of times before.
      Wow im called a troll

You are spreading FUD plain and simple.

You honestly sound exatly like 99% of the anti linux trolls. "I couldnt get it to work so its obviously broke and not just me"

If you where actually trying to use steam in offline mode instead of lying to further your FUD campaign you would know that when you start steam with no internet connection it dont try connecting to anything and you see:

If your games are fully installed you will have access to all of them.

Either you have some serious networking issues with your laptop that need addressed or your full of it. Either way your "many others" dont exist and this hasnt been a real issue for steam in a long time. A simple google search should have shown you this is not a common issue.

Comment

Originally posted by pfunkman View Post
        Valve is just 1 developer, good job you figured it out. Whats your point? You think appealing to the group that maintains steam will get you more native games? May as well write letters to mcdonalds to make pepsi bring back crystal pepsi.

Ill ask again,

As it is now what benefit is there for steam to bust their asses and spend the money?

Unless some developer has secretly told them some new big name games will be coming with native clients or valve has secretly decided to work with linux theres no real benefit for them. Porting over old games will make some money but likely not enough to make it worth it like a new game would be.
        Okay mate, so you got back to first grade, learn to read, and then read everything that a write again, slowly, before trying to piss at my leg.

Comment

Originally posted by MAXX View Post
          Okay mate, so you got back to first grade, learn to read, and then read everything that a write again, slowly, before trying to piss at my leg.
          Whats so hard for you to understand? Bitching to the steam group will not get you more games.

Comment

( lots of bullshit )
            Usually I won't answer to steam-trolls but so much stupidity. I worked with steam not only as a gamer. And if I say something doesn't work the way it is proclaimed on the label then it fucking doesn't! I'm no liar and who tries to state so has a big problem... with me! So go piss off somebody else but never ever again dare to call me a liar. Did this sink into your fucking brain? Good and now shut up. ( blocking user )

Comment

a) I thought all trolls were at 4chan... but it seems they spread around on tech/software forums aswell :-/

b) use PM for flamewars plx

c) steam will surely endorese some vendors to at least consider a linux port, as steam is major platform and includes DRM, which form the pov of an game company is a huge issue (on *nix).
              And the point it won't brig any games to linux well.. this statement simply not true. Linux is still un underrepresented market, though many don't know that untill today (and it will take ages untill linux will be comapreable with windows in the respect of number of game title availiable).
              Well, it's true, Valve is just one company, but as soon as this company has monopol at the linux market (except for OSS and Independent Game Studios) the others will come into the competition (money talks)
              So, any constructive criticsm aprreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                Usually I won't answer to steam-trolls but so much stupidity. I worked with steam not only as a gamer. And if I say something doesn't work the way it is proclaimed on the label then it fucking doesn't! I'm no liar and who tries to state so has a big problem... with me! So go piss off somebody else but never ever again dare to call me a liar. Did this sink into your fucking brain? Good and now shut up. ( blocking user )
                Thank god you blocked me im sick of your FUD anyhow. Calling me a troll when you make baseless bullshit claims and back it up with nothing more than "I said so" and im tired of the "steam troll" bullshit as well.

If anyone here is a steam troll its yourself. If only you could see past the hypocritical zealotry your spewing to see your "issue" that you claimed "many others" are sharing is just YOU.

Fix your busted shit and quit blaming steam.

I say to you again you are a LIAR.

You got called on your bullshit and all you have to say is "I say its broke so its broke" You can show absolutely nothing proving your not full of it other than flames and accusations of trolling.
                Last edited by pfunkman; 07 July 2009, 04:20 PM.

Comment

1} Getting games to work in offline mode requires additional user configuration upon install and after every update. This imo is unacceptable.
                  2) Steams Use Of Service terms are very unfriendly towards it's users. Basically Valve can deny you access to your purchased games without any serious reasons

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
                    1} Getting games to work in offline mode requires additional user configuration upon install and after every update. This imo is unacceptable.
                    What configuration are you talking about? All you have to do is install the game and it should work in offline mode with no more interaction than that. Obviously if its in the middle of updating it wont work but other than that i have yet to find a scenario where my games dont work or require any configuration to play in offline mode.

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
                    2) Steams Use Of Service terms are very unfriendly towards it's users. Basically Valve can deny you access to your purchased games without any serious reasons
                    Go through and read the EULA/TOS/TOU to any game on the market they all have pretty much the same clause.

For all 2 of you saying offline mode dont work unplug your internet and post some screens of errors. i have tried to "reproduce" these "issues" and so far they have panned out to a load of FUD baloney.

Comment

What configuration are you talking about? All you have to do is install the game and it should work in offline mode with no more interaction than that. Obviously if its in the middle of updating it wont work but other than that i have yet to find a scenario where my games dont work or require any configuration to play in offline mode.

Go through and read the EULA/TOS/TOU to any game on the market they all have pretty much the same clause.

For all 2 of you saying offline mode dont work unplug your internet and post some screens of errors. i have tried to "reproduce" these "issues" and so far they have panned out to a load of FUD baloney.
                      Seriously pfunkman, just stop posting your crappy steam fanboyism...
                      The thing about "EULA/ToS/ToU" your wrote is total bullshit.
                      With normal games you don't rely on some online service to unlock all your files. And they cerntainly don't reserve themselves the right to lock you out from using the game...
                      Even if they did it wouldn't be legal in this jurisdiction...
                      And if they sell it here, they're subject to the local jurisdiction...

And offline play for steam does not work when you really need it (like when your modem breaks down) with 90% certainty.

Comment

Working...
                      X