Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve To Launch Native Linux Game In July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    And to add to the actual story, I wouldn't doubt Steam coming to Linux, many games in their "portal" have Linux versions as noted already, but Valve was just really stupid in using the Windows GUI/Explorer/IE/etc libraries to create what is just a customized version of IE that loads their website and ties in with the system so that upon clicking on a game the user can install it in Windows easily. They should have used actual web and cross-platform standards from the get-go so that they could release "Steam" for other platforms in the future. Someone at Valve clearly screwed up.

I just say "Steam" because again, it's just a freaking website loading in IE plus a resident program to act as DRM, there's nothing special about it really, Firefox *could* be used as "Steam" but simply lacks the Windows software installer hook. And the DRM. Why doesn't anyone talk about the DRM any way? If I can't even play a single player game without connecting to their Steam servers and asking for permission, that definitely helps take the wind from my sails.
    i re-installed half life 2 over steam in wine and using gecko. perhaps you need IE to pay for games - that i don't know, but you can install them with steam + gecko.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
      i re-installed half life 2 over steam in wine and using gecko. perhaps you need IE to pay for games - that i don't know, but you can install them with steam + gecko.
      If it works... which I can not confirm. Not only has the source engine huge problems with rendering under Wine ( take out a grenade... triangles all over the screen ) it also kills your Linux when it crashes ( hard-locks the machine, reboot required, screen resolution totally fucked up and not repairable anymore... you need to reinstall drivers to clear up the mess ).

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        If it works... which I can not confirm. Not only has the source engine huge problems with rendering under Wine ( take out a grenade... triangles all over the screen ) it also kills your Linux when it crashes ( hard-locks the machine, reboot required, screen resolution totally fucked up and not repairable anymore... you need to reinstall drivers to clear up the mess ).
        not for myself. In my case both CSS and L4D render just fine but as garbage frame rates. CSS is about 50-60fps with everything high for me. Fullscreen and window modes work perfectly fine. Only issue besides fps is that when you close it the process itself doesn't fully exit. This is easily fixed with the system monitor tho. Im not saying that its the same for everyone but its what happens for me.

thats a 7950gt with binary drivers for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
          I just say "Steam" because again, it's just a freaking website loading in IE plus a resident program to act as DRM, there's nothing special about it really, Firefox *could* be used as "Steam" but simply lacks the Windows software installer hook. And the DRM. Why doesn't anyone talk about the DRM any way? If I can't even play a single player game without connecting to their Steam servers and asking for permission, that definitely helps take the wind from my sails.
          If you don't know what you are talking about, just don't talk about it.

Comment

I don't read most of the articles here any more anyway - the forum comments are often far more reliable and balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              not for myself. In my case both CSS and L4D render just fine but as garbage frame rates. CSS is about 50-60fps with everything high for me. Fullscreen and window modes work perfectly fine. Only issue besides fps is that when you close it the process itself doesn't fully exit. This is easily fixed with the system monitor tho. Im not saying that its the same for everyone but its what happens for me.

thats a 7950gt with binary drivers for reference.
              i had pretty much the same experience, it took a little tweaking first, but i managed to get HL2 to render just fine, never seen the triangles, i did have a nasty problem before tweaking with character models litterally being stretched all the way across the room...

don't know what my framerate was exactly, but every once in a while i would notice it was just a little less then smooth, it was barely noticeable, but on windows i highly doubt that would happen with my setup.

Comment

They changed it:

Operating System: Microsoft? Windows? XP SP2; Windows Vista

Comment

Originally posted by haowan View Post
                  I've gotta be a bit more careful with what I write in my emails to people evidently Didn't expect to see them all posted up here.

Thanks for the interest anyway guys, we're working hard to get a good game out this summer and you will be able to get hold of it one way or another. And hopefully it won't segfault all over the place like it currently does

For the record the platform listing will be our fault, not Valve's, since we filled out the info for that page.

Cheers

Alex (Dyson dev team)
                  Thank you for feeding the Phoronix "Steam is coming to Linux" meme. Feel free to make future typos as these rumor filled articles and the resulting threads are fun to read

Comment

perhaps another solution. Certainly digital distribution appeals to most linux users as we are very internet oriented. Why not make a mac/linux alternative? Sure it would be a rocky start and very complex at best, but overall it would either push steam to make a client or abandon the need. Looks good on the cover, bad on paper.

Can anyone add to this because im running on a limb...

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                      perhaps another solution. Certainly digital distribution appeals to most linux users as we are very internet oriented. Why not make a mac/linux alternative? Sure it would be a rocky start and very complex at best, but overall it would either push steam to make a client or abandon the need. Looks good on the cover, bad on paper.

Can anyone add to this because im running on a limb...
                      Well while linux does have it's strengths on net based applications a large part of the world does not have great high speed connections (if available at all). Take a look at a country like Brazil. Great linux adoption but high speed connections are rare and they do depend on those iso's. Sometimes those of us that are privledged with high speed net access forget that it's not available everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X