X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WannaBeOCer
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Lol wasn't it AMD initiating the shift from x86 to amd64 !?
    What shift? AMD64 slowed down the adoption of 64-bit apps since it was backwards compatible.

It wasn’t until Apple dropped 32-bit support with macOS Catalina we started to see an actual shift to 64-bit apps.

Leave a comment:

• drake23
    replied
    Originally posted by MastaG View Post
    For some reason I always have a feeling that native Linux ports dont last that long.
    Because the runtime environment keeps on changing all the time.
    Even if you try to make your binaries as static as possible, in a few years the latest distros will simply break due to some library abi incompatibility.

​​​​​​At least DXVK/VKD3D keep on updating and improving with the latest userland (Wayland, vulkan etc).
    Yes, made the same experience. Actually, the native port of tomb raider (2013) wouldn't launch on Tumbleweed, however the win version ran without trouble (thanks to proton).

I'm very glad the native ut2k4 port still runs (thanks to libsdl compat)

Leave a comment:

• MastaG
    replied
    For some reason I always have a feeling that native Linux ports dont last that long.
    Because the runtime environment keeps on changing all the time.
    Even if you try to make your binaries as static as possible, in a few years the latest distros will simply break due to some library abi incompatibility.

​​​​​​At least DXVK/VKD3D keep on updating and improving with the latest userland (Wayland, vulkan etc).

Leave a comment:

• mbriar
    replied
    Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

I remember and hence why I said add incentives, which hopefully would make those devs release properly optimized code.
    Why would adding incentives lead to better ports? Just drop a subpar linux port to cash in on the incentive, and then rely on people switching to proton to actually play the game properly.

Leave a comment:

• NeoMorpheus
    replied
    Originally posted by Gusar View Post

There were a few ports when Valve started their Linux efforts. They typically ran worse than going through wine, because they were nothing but quick'n'dirty translations from d3d to opengl. They were also stuck in their state, whereas proton/dxvk/vkd3d are constantly being improved.
    I remember and hence why I said add incentives, which hopefully would make those devs release properly optimized code.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
    Its amazing the amount of work that Valve has done for Linux, but I wonder, shouldn't they offer some incentives to developers to release their games in native Linux besides Proton?
    There were a few ports when Valve started their Linux efforts. They typically ran worse than going through wine, because they were nothing but quick'n'dirty translations from d3d to opengl. They were also stuck in their state, whereas proton/dxvk/vkd3d are constantly being improved.

Leave a comment:

• NeoMorpheus
    replied
    Its amazing the amount of work that Valve has done for Linux, but I wonder, shouldn't they offer some incentives to developers to release their games in native Linux besides Proton?

Be a bigger cut of the profits or receiving sponsorship in whichever form directly from Valve?

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by avis View Post
    Lol wasn't it AMD initiating the shift from x86 to amd64 !?

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    ARMA Reforger has graphical glitching with terrain objects.
    I haven't isolated the exact version when it started. But could affect other games that use similar engine tech.
    (they seem to be having a few games using the tech now)

Leave a comment:

• avis
    replied
    Michael

For your attention: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...hitecture.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X