X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slagiewka
    replied
    Originally posted by avis View Post
    • Linux has no overhead, right? DXVK runs for free, right? KDE Plasma is a lean nice environment, right? No!
    And you do realise that Steam Deck does not run KDE Plasma in game mode, right?

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Its worhtwhile to watch Linus Tech Tips:

Thanks to dbrand for sponsoring today’s video! Head to http://shortlinus.com for all your ROG Ally screen protector and skin needs.Asus was a bit misleading ...

especially if you are a bird.

Leave a comment:

• dreamcat4
    replied
    in terms of this asus rog device specifically... this is probably another situation where certain aspects of r2r legislation would help consumers in terms of proprietary windows only vendor drivers. having more open hardware and access to chips, schematics around whatever is being used for the closed power management ics etc. and so on. because lets face it asus likes their proprietary in house chips. irog and all of that nonsense. we have seen from them for many yeats

looking more broadly in the market this new amd apu soc will probably become in other competitor devices and get great linux support for steamos. so no worries about that aspect. and you know, maybe some other brand will actually include a touch screen while they are at it. not sure why asus did not... a bit of a clanger that on imho. and enough reason not to get this device. at least to wait until there is a new product with touchscreen

and thats about all i have to say. oh and the blatant m$ kickbacks and absurd windows software. what level headed person would even want to get involved anything with that. a total clown show. maybe eu should come after them for that or have something relevant / worthwhile to say

right to repair guys. right to repair. right to repait. even if it isn't broke yet

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    If this device becomes more popular than the Deck, Linux will die in consumer desktop space...
    what is dead may never die

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    Originally posted by gsedej View Post
    When you don't know how else to market product, then you put "Dolby Atmos audio" or something
    dolby atmos is a nice feature. maybe linux will support it in a decade or two

Leave a comment:

• drakonas777
    replied
    • Twice as fast as SteamDeck in pretty much everything
    Price is also higher by about the same amount performance is higher. A year later and 0 additive economic value for consumers.

• Runs Windows 11 by default, i.e. no problems with emulation/translation, DRM, anticheats and everything and you can run Windows software as well

Personally I had no issues with Steam Deck in regards to these kind of problems. It depends on the games of course. For me Windows only reduces UX/UI experience by a lot. Also, some SD-specific features like suspending games won't work there.

• A much better screen - 1080p 120Hz

1080p is useless for this size of a display. Wasted battery and performance. I really hope Valve won't do the same for Steam Deck 2.

• Supports an external GPU

I don't see this being neither useful nor popular feature. The main point of a handheld PC is mobility and gaming on-the-go. In any other use-case desktop or notebook is far more superior device in pretty much anything.

Steam Deck is not perfect, but the base model still offers the best value and Steam OS 3.x is still superior console-like experience in comparison to Windows consoles.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    • No Linux kernel!
    • No Mesa drivers!
    • No KDE Plasma!
    And it also comes with the closed source, spyware infested and bloatware Windows.

So it's definitely a no thanks for me!

Leave a comment:

• writequit
    replied

1. What parts of the internet? Most high speed Internet switches are on OSes which have nothing to do with Linux, i.e. Cisco.
    You know IOS-XE and IOS-XR run on top of linux right?

Leave a comment:

• HEL88
    replied
    Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
    No trackpads = dead on arrival
    I play on my PC only on the gamepad without trackpads.

What am I doing wrong? Because I understand that without trackpads it should not be possible to play?

Nintendo Switch, most popular console, also has trackpads of course? Right? ​

Leave a comment:

• pinguinpc
    replied
    Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
    Microsoft considers the ability to bypass UAC (a.k.a. privilege escalation) "not a bug".
    Is not a bug is like some said ago a "feature"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X