Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arun54321
    replied
    How is that wrong OS? Linux users are in delusion as always.

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

The Steam Controller is an additional peripheral. Everyone who uses an SC also has a mouse. How many games on Steam require a mouse (or a trackpad) to be playable? No point-and-click adventures, not to many turn-based- or rt strategy games, ... hell, no Hexcells either.
    This as at least one usb port. You could just plug in your mouse to play any of those games. I don't know if it has a touchscreen (I'm seriously not impressed by the device to look it up), but if it does you could play hexcells the same way you play on your cellphone.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

High end use property system IOS (eg. for telecom, provider, backbone), low end (eg. for business , consumers) using linux.
    No that have not been true for several years now. Cisco switched all their high end switches and routers to IOS XR which is their reimplementation of IOS on Linux and their highest end switches (the Nexus line) runs NX-OS which is based in Wind River Linux.

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

maybe he assumes valve is a hobby of multibillionaire Gabe
    No no, you would invest time and work in your hobby, valve is his grift.
    The Steam is a console for gaming using Linux, kinda like you get scammer emails asking for investment from a Nigerian prince and not a thriving business man.

Leave a comment:

• HEL88
    replied
    Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

Cisco has been using Linux in high end switches and carrier-grade routers since 2015
    High end use property system IOS (eg. for telecom, provider, backbone), low end (eg. for business , consumers) using linux.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

You are contradicting yourself. You regularly write in this forum that most of the Linux changes come from companies, but not enthusiastic people (you like to attack FOSS enthusiasts by this take). However, now you are writing it's "hobby" OS, which implies it's developed mostly by hobbyist and not some professionals in companies.
    maybe he assumes valve is a hobby of multibillionaire Gabe

Leave a comment:

• drakonas777
    replied
    Originally posted by avis View Post

Yeah, don't buy it and get a 100% refund automatically.

Linux will run on it just fine but who cares, let's hate it because ASUS doesn't want to waste a ton of money supporting a hobby OS where nothing is ever stable.
    You are contradicting yourself. You regularly write in this forum that most of the Linux changes come from companies, but not enthusiastic people (you like to attack FOSS enthusiasts by this take). However, now you are writing it's "hobby" OS, which implies it's developed mostly by hobbyist and not some professionals in companies.

Leave a comment:

• Rallos Zek
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Cisco and Juniper handle most of the actual Internet. Linux just handles a lot of the endpoints. If you're going to cheer for Linux, don't use hyperbole.
    You info is years out of date, both Juniper and Cisco have switched to using Linux in their new product stacks. Cisco has been using Linux in high end switches and carrier-grade routers since 2015 and Juniper has been slowly putting Linux in new porducts over FreeBSD since 2018.

Leave a comment:

• lejeczek
    replied
    Who here, as a phoronix supporter - in other words: What kind of a moron one has to be in order to...?No really... a lefty noob, a gen-z schmuck, a complete ignorant hack or perhaps all of the above one must be for that?(rhetorically)‚Äč - would want to get that Asus shite?

It has to be Steam Deck only !! as long as Valve is the only toy maker who seeeriouslllyy! takes Open Source & substantially contribute to it - which benefits us all ! not only basement-kids - thank you Valve!

lots love, x. L.

Leave a comment:

• EvilHowl
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

I just noticed that I haven't checked the memory configuration of the ASUS ROG Ally, and it's listed as dual-channel LPDDR5.

And the internet lists LPDDR5 as having only a 32-bit memory bus at most.

So, I guess that means it only has a 64-bit wide RAM interface vs. the Steam Deck's 128-bit one...
    Yup, it's listed as dual-channel, but they probably mean that it's dual channel in a traditional computer sense, so dual-channel 64-bit (not 32-bit) memory, which would result in a 128-bit bus. Maybe it's actually using 64-bit LPDDR5 memory, which I don't even know if that even exists or if any hardware vendor supports it.

Seeing the difference in performance that single channel (64-bit interface) makes against dual channel (128-bit interface) in iGPU performance on laptops, I'm almost 100% sure that the ROG Ally has a 128-bit memory interface, just like the Steam Deck. Otherwise, it wouldn't make even half of the performance of Valve's handheld.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X