Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    Have a Windows machine.

The issue is that the program used to interface with the controller is supposed to have a "update firmware" button on it if the firmware is out of date (which it is, because it's reported as out of date in the details page)... but the program does not have said update firmware button. So far, Microsoft have (a) implied I was blind or incompetent even after sending them screenshot and video evidence, (b) told me to use a different version of Windows (first it was "Use Windows 11" then when I did, it was "Use Windows 10", (c) told me the controller wasn't being detected (when it was) and then finally, (d) told me that I should buy an XBox Series X to update the controller on because that "might work". Suuure, buy a console costing (at the time) four times what the controller cost (XBox is not popular in Japan, which means at the time there was a lot of ridiculous price gouging) to update the controller... maybe.

It works via USB and the wireless dongle, so I basically threw up my hands and said "screw it" at that point and stopped bothering to try to use Bluetooth.

Thing is, there are actually quite a few people reporting this problem to Microsoft, and they have yet to actually solve the problem for anyone who has reported it. The issue is that when connected via Bluetooth, pressing A/B/X/Y acts like you're pressing the XBOX button, thus opening the XBox overlay. This, of course, makes actually playing a game kind of hard.

I've had less trouble getting a PS5 controller to work on my PC. That was about ten seconds of work (which, to be fair, the Elite 2 is with the wireless dongle). The problem with the PS5 controller is that Microsoft Store games (Forza Horizon, basically) will not see it no matter what I do. But playing Disgaea 5 or Persona 4 on Steam with the PS5 controller? Flawless.

edit: To be fair, the last time I tried was a while ago. Maybe if I try now (with a new version of Win 11) it'll work. I guess I'll check tonight.
    Well, good luck, me myself need to update my win 10 machine to use it, it is said that I need to get a certain update of win10 to use Bluetooth working, but I disabled my win update so I can only use USB for now, I don't know how to get the update working again lol, it says my win update is disabled by my organization, group policy or something like that. Maybe someone here knows how to make it work?

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      Well, good luck, me myself need to update my win 10 machine to use it, it is said that I need to get a certain update of win10 to use Bluetooth working, but I disabled my win update so I can only use USB for now, I don't know how to get the update working again lol, it says my win update is disabled by my organization, group policy or something like that. Maybe someone here knows how to make it work?
      so open group policy to undisable? i dont understand the issue

unless you used a third party tool that went further by also disabling scheduled tasks, renaming exes, ntfs permissions, additional services, etc

regardless, i've been poking at making WU ondemand, so i've become familiar with disabling, enabling, blocking... it starting up services even though blocked, redisabling

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post

so open group policy to undisable? i dont understand the issue

unless you used a third party tool that went further by also disabling scheduled tasks, renaming exes, ntfs permissions, additional services, etc

regardless, i've been poking at making WU ondemand, so i've become familiar with disabling, enabling, blocking... it starting up services even though blocked, redisabling
        Turns out I need to remove something on regedit to enable update, i also saved a reg file as "disable update" switch, it's quite effective. Now that it's working, I can use Bluetooth for Xbox controller. But the latency was very noticeable the very last time I used it. so i just stick with wire again.

Also I've encountered 3 bsod in last two days after update wtf?? I was right to disable wu long ago

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
          Turns out I need to remove something on regedit to enable update, i also saved a reg file as "disable update" switch, it's quite effective. Now that it's working, I can use Bluetooth for Xbox controller. But the latency was very noticeable the very last time I used it. so i just stick with wire again.

Also I've encountered 3 bsod in last two days after update wtf?? I was right to disable wu long ago
          bsods doing what and which message with which hardware? there are also two sets of updates, the core windows ones and driver ones, where pretty much everyone in pc hardware/game forums says to disable the driver updates (group policy, maybe reg key)

i would disable fastboot since i dont see the point (on an ssd) and it should let drivers+firmware start fresh without lingering issues, additionally i never use sleep or hibernate for the same reason

oh one more interesting group policy setting, updates can be delayed by a specified number of days, so you could wait to see if there's a major common issue instead of getting them as soon as every second tuesday of the month

anyway, there are multiple versions of 10, multiple editions, i'm only interested in ltsc not the insanity of the constantly changing home/pro editions, you should probably mention which exact version you're on

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post

bsods doing what and which message with which hardware? there are also two sets of updates, the core windows ones and driver ones, where pretty much everyone in pc hardware/game forums says to disable the driver updates (group policy, maybe reg key)

i would disable fastboot since i dont see the point (on an ssd) and it should let drivers+firmware start fresh without lingering issues, additionally i never use sleep or hibernate for the same reason

oh one more interesting group policy setting, updates can be delayed by a specified number of days, so you could wait to see if there's a major common issue instead of getting them as soon as every second tuesday of the month

anyway, there are multiple versions of 10, multiple editions, i'm only interested in ltsc not the insanity of the constantly changing home/pro editions, you should probably mention which exact version you're on
            It's different every bsod, but it's always network related like dscp or whatever.

I'm using pro version, last time it didn't bsod but controller didn't work with Bluetooth was version 19something

I don't really tinker with windows often, I just expect It to JustWerks™, but these updates driving me insane, maybe I'll just get hardware not from Microsoft, so my hardware won't be tied to windows update.

But yeah, for now, Imma check driver updates and lstc. Before I purge the windows installation and replace it with linux or something. Funily, xpadneo with gnome deliver better experience with the controller than windows itself. No interaction required.

Comment

Working...
            X