No announcement yet.

LGP Gets Into Game Downloading, Rentals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really wouldn't recommend doing any transaction with them until they fix their site.

Posted again so I don't see "WTF, thanks for telling us a little late" replies.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I really wouldn't recommend doing any transaction with them until they fix their site.
      lol honestly this is so sad i just have to chuckle. Suck an abysmal failure on the part of LGP

They have had an eternity to fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin View Post
        @miles
        Playing a game is not about finishing it, but having fun with it over as long periode of time - maybe that's what Kano wanted to say in addition to his other points.
        Then fussing about renting prices (seriously, 1$?) doesn't enter in the equation, since people that want to have fun with it over long periods of time would buy the game. And if they're spending countless hours with a game, it's being really cheap to complain about selling prices. I can understand complaining about a 30? game if you're only going to play it for 5 hours, but if you spend tens or hundreds of hours on it, the price difference between a bargain bin Windows game and a 30? port doesn't enter much in the equation. I'm also happier with a bargain bin price, but having cheaper prices on a different platform doesn't change the fact one can also value the game as offering them 50-200 hours of gameplay.

And anyone that complains because he won't spend 30? on a game he only plans to play for 5 hours is right - but the rental now offers him an alternative to not playing the game at all. Cheaper than the bargain bin, but apparently for some 1$ is far more expensive than just getting the game for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          @miles

I have got nothing agains buying, but when you look at the price differnece of the same game which is a budget title for Win for years and the price you should pay for the Linux variant then something is definitely wrong. I looks like that Linux games never get old and sell for full price. That price will only pay very few people, even if they like the game. Maybe they buy the Win version after testing.
          You've been beating that horse for years. It sound word for word the same as the kind of thing you already said, is there any value copy/pasting your posts?

People that buy Windows games definitely isn't LGP market, even when such people consider themselves as Linux users. If you've got both an XBox 360 and PS3, and the PS3 port of a game is selling for 70$ when the XBox360 game has been out for one or two years and can be found for less than 20$ on a bargain bin, while the PC game has been out for much longer and can be found for less than 10$, nobody's going to contest there's a huge price difference. It doesn't prevent some companies offering PS3 ports, and obviously there's a market for them - just not the ones that own both consoles, or like to game on a PC.

Same with Live Arcade/Wiiware/Playstation Store selling classical games for 10$ when for that price you'd get 5 of them second hand everywhere, or free. Same for PSP ports of a PS2 game that's only 5$ second hand next door (the shop next door to me has a few thousand second hand PSX/PS2 games). Or an XBox 360 port of a Dreamcast game that could be found brand new for a few bucks on Ebay. Guess what, a PS2 port without any improvements sells for 40$ on the PSP, and nobody finds that a steal - if you don't want it, don't get it. There's a market, it's just not you, get over it - if you're happy with Windows, where's the problem?
          Last edited by miles; 04 June 2009, 04:11 AM.

Comment

I want to play games for a long time and I want to pay for them as little money as possible.
            If LGP would offer more games for a lower price, I would buy them from their store/resellers instead of playing the games under Windows or on my X360. They are losing potential customers by setting high prices.

Comment

@miles

I only change my mind in rare cases, but it is more easy to write it again than searching for reference posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin View Post
                I want to play games for a long time and I want to pay for them as little money as possible.
                If LGP would offer more games for a lower price, I would buy them from their store/resellers instead of playing the games under Windows or on my X360. They are losing potential customers by setting high prices.
                sadly the prices are ridiculous

getting 1 customers paying 50 bucks for a game gets you 50 bucks and 1 reference. setting the same game at 20 bucks would get you 3 sales ($60) and 3 references. Lets be honest, you cant sell Gorky 17 at the same price as ARMA 2... Linux users believe it or not are people .

ders no law that says price is relative to output but ders a reason our tangible goods are made in china .

Comment

I'm not sure about the rentals idea. Can't hurt, I suppose. The downloading option is great though, I bought Sacred Gold from Tux Games recently and was playing it for a week before the thing actually arrived.

Comment

Renting is not something i would do, the downloading option is fine with me though. In fact i'll get some games next week probably

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

Posted again so I don't see "WTF, thanks for telling us a little late" replies.
                      The service isn't available on LGPs site only through distributors like tuxgames so this point is probably irrelevant. (Although they really should fix the site)

Comment

Working...
                      X