Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Marketshare Percentage Dipped In February

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Marketshare Percentage Dipped In February

Valve has just published the Steam Survey results for the month prior and it points to Steam on Linux as a percentage dropping as well as a similar pullback in the Steam Deck hardware usage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I sincerely don't know why people insist in look at those numbers as real world values, not even that current players on CSGO.

There's nothing proofing that there's a account to a user/hardware, not even that the account is to a people, or if they consider unused accounts. A lot of people has smurfing account, if you play CSGO, you'll see a lot of "players" spinning just to farm crates . (Notice that those spikes are just after a new collection/operation.)

And a VAC banned account, the player just create a new one.

Comment

Steam Deck not just isn't able to keep up with the pace of Windows growth, it's also not able to keep up with Linux itself given that it's share is dropping even among Linux players. I guess this means people who are buying the Steam Deck are putting it aside after few months, or are ending up installing Windows on it. Either this, or some Steam Deck update have screwed up the survey by making it less likely to appear for Steam Deck users.

Comment

Probably PC Gaming experiencing a bit of a shrink given the inflation with PC parts over past few years. More and more people are giving up on buying their own hardware or moving to console.

No idea what's going to happen when Tariffs hit, %20-30 instant price inflation overnight....

Comment

Well I'm using Windows11(Tiny) atm due to below.
          -No HDMI2.1 under Linux (AMD)
          -No aHDR atm (minor downside)
          -GPU not quite powerful enough to take the %30 performance hit. (6800xt already struggling at 4k under Win11)
          -Modding often is a major pain to do under Linux and requires 2-3x more work.
          -Wayland still feels rather experimental and has missing features and bugs that I always run into.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
            Just earlier today I was trying to run Beat Saber through ALVR and a Quest 2. SteamVR worked fine, but BS crashed on-start. .
            https://steamcommunity.com/app/62098...3982981979882/

Beat Saber has the horrible thing of also crashing on start when using it under Windows as well. Yes run Beat Saber enough times under Windows and the program magically fixes itself as well. You just did not attempt to run it enough times for Beat Saber to fix itself. Yes crash on start, crash on start, crash on start.... then magically working is normal Beat Saber behavior even under Windows. There is a race condition there that every time you start Beat Saber there is a risk that it will not start and if it does not start it will take more than one starting attempt to fix itself this is not a proton or windows problem this is Beat Sabers own code.

You have to be careful sometimes proton/wine when applications are not work are in fact exactly replicating Windows behavior. These race condition faults means its luck if you hit the problem on Linux or Windows.

"Windows 10 just works" this need to be taken with a serous grain of salt. Because there are many cases like Beat Saber where not working some of the time is normal under Windows just due to how game is. Yes Oculus Library is another one that under Windows can also race condition itself to death. Yes it possible for a person complete game collection library to have start race condition issues in every game they have due to how common the problem is. Yes you could have played the games for years and never seen it.

Some of the problems you stated are Linux problems. But some are in fact generic does not matter if you are Windows or Linux you are rolling the dice if you will have those issues. The percentages are moving that the generic game issue is the most common failure with games under Linux.

The hard problem here that people can start gaming on Linux have a stack of issues blame them on Linux and all the issues turn out to been random race conditions with particular games that result in them not working that could have happened to the user under windows. Some of this is how garbage in general games are

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Well I'm using Windows11(Tiny) atm due to below.
              -No aHDR atm (minor downside)
              -GPU not quite powerful enough to take the %30 performance hit. (6800xt already struggling at 4k under Win11)
              -Modding often is a major pain to do under Linux and requires 2-3x more work.
              -Wayland still feels rather experimental and has missing features and bugs that I always run into.
              What 30% performance hit are you talking about? What features of wayland do you need? What bugs? Absolutely delusional post.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Brief summary of the problem: HDMI2.1 8K@60Hz (7680x4320@60Hz) is supported by GPU and Display (works in Windows, advertised in EDID), but...

That what you call HDMI standard body issue for you. Yes Nvidia open source driver for Linux by Nvidia is also missing HDMI2.1 support. Same with the Intel driver.

Yes this forces displayport to be used because the specifications todo higher res by display port are fine. Yes Display port 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 active cables/adapters exist these take displayport 1.4 in one side and output HDMI2.1 out the other. So as long as you are willing to hook that HDMI2.1 monitor up to a displayport with correct adapter everything works fine because to Linux and every OS it just another displayport monitor with possible displayport audio out..

Yes it sucks that the HDMI port on the GPU is limited functionality.

To be correct its "No HDMI2.1 support under LInux without a adapters on display port when using open source drivers because the HDMI standard body is being a pain in but" . Adapters makes HDMI2.1 monitors and tvs and the like connect up correctly to display port and get all the functionality. Yes depending on the adapter for how old of GPU you can get away with being able to use full features of HDMI 2.1 monitor by using a displayport.

Yes these adapters makes the HDMI standards body happy because their stuff is still inside a blackbox. Of course these adapters means HDMI 2.1 monitors are fully usable with Linux for a extra 50 dollars in cost.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/a...6#note_1103126
                  That what you call HDMI standard body issue for you. Yes Nvidia open source driver for Linux by Nvidia is also missing HDMI2.1 support. Same with the Intel driver.

Actually they have HDMI2.1 in their code. Go have a look!

To use the adapter correctly with 444 and 8+10bit colour you need a new release GPU! (not NVIDIA as they don't have latest DP).
                  Additionally the adapter solution is quite expensive and also risky as majority of those adapters don't even do what they say they can! so your wasting money attempting to find one that works.
                  (I've tried to find adapter btw, all have yet to work according to advertised specs. Not wasting any more money on it....)

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

What 30% performance hit are you talking about? What features of wayland do you need? What bugs? Absolutely delusional post.
                  ​That is not very nice and why Linux gets a bad rep. I was only general stating issues I currently have with Linux, not doing a detailed bug report right here in forum. Check yourself!
                  Last edited by theriddick; 01 March 2023, 11:55 PM.

Comment

About windows working, try to play Strider on any version of windows and let me know how many times it crashes and if you are able to finish it.

The try the same game on Linux and repeat the test.

About the DP to hdmi adapter, i tried a couple of them (for that reason and another issue i was experiencing) and they all capped at 60hz.

I think that i will stay with consoles until further notice.

Comment

Working...
                    X