No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Marketshare Percentage Dipped In February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is still so weird to me. With the extreme leaps in linux gaming performance in the last few years *and* the steam deck *and* the rising hardware prices (where apparently fewer and fewer people buy a new pc), there's still a DIP in the linux marketshare? not just a neglible increase, but a DIP?
    I really can't understand this, how can the growth of new linux users, if there is any at all, *still* register so low

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      Any issues are most likely on latest games. But most people do not play the latest and greatest AAA games.
      Top played without free games:

1. Sons Of The Forest (2023)
      2. Hogwarts Legacy (2023)
      3. Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II (2022)
      4. Grand Theft Auto V (2015)
      5. Rust (2018)
      6. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (2023)
      7. Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI (2016)
      8. Football Manager 2023 (2022)
      9. ELDEN RING (2022)
      10. EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23 (2022)

Also, Steam surveys are useless. They are very random..
      I know, I know. E.g., for a left activist, US police statistics are useless because those statistics are racist.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
        I'm certainly pulling for fully functional Windows gaming under Linux, and know Valve is working hard to get as many games working as possible. But they are doing it with a plethora of game specific patches, which are quicker to implement but essentially kludges, instead of fixing the fundamental problems with Wine that prevent some games from working. And as these kludges pile up I fear they're going to lose control of their own software as it becomes more and more convoluted.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.
        I sincerely think you are wrong. I don't think Valve is doing things like: if game = x then { } else if game = y then { }. If they were doing that they would've lost control long time ago as you predict. They are just fixing bugs or edge cases that happen to appear in certain games but not others, but when they announce their updates they mention what matters to the end users, which is "game x is now fixed". You know this because the compatibility of Proton/Wine is improving across the board and not just for the games specifically mentioned in their release notes. Anti-cheat aside, we are now at a point where games that don't work are far less than those that work and this state is impossible to achieve with hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Yeah sure a guy who admits is not using Linux will tell me if my every day experience using Linux only is fake... Get out of here...
          I have extensive knowledge and experience with Linux and running windows/linux games under Linux.
          I said I'm using Win11 (GHOST Lite version) so I can do several things atm which are a pain under Linux, and the 420 colorspace was crap due to HDMI2.1 support missing.

Secondly Phoronix does on occasion Windows vs Linux performance comparisons and you'll see I'm not just making things up. Your own account of what you experience is through the portal of ONLY LINUX EXPERIENCE. You even said you use YT videos to compare! well I compare directly on Native Windows and Native Linux, no funny logic here!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            I have extensive knowledge and experience with Linux and running windows/linux games under Linux.
            I said I'm using Win11 (GHOST Lite version) so I can do several things atm which are a pain under Linux, and the 420 colorspace was crap due to HDMI2.1 support missing
            Need to be more correct HDMI2.1 optional features. The features missing causing the problem by the HDMI standard body are optional so a HDMI2.1 device does not have to have them.

Comment

Working...
            X