No announcement yet.

Godot 4.0 Stable Released As Major Step Forward For Open-Source Game Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 4.0 Stable Released As Major Step Forward For Open-Source Game Engines

Phoronix: Godot 4.0 Stable Released As Major Step Forward For Open-Source Game Engines

The Godot engine developers are starting off March with a bang... The much anticipated Godot 4.0 engine that has been in development for years has been released as stable!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd love to see something like Garry's mod being made for a modern engine with multithreaded scripting and physics. The possibilities for player-made machines and contraptions would be gargantuan!

Also, congrats to the Godot devs and their unrelenting drive to create a modern, open-source, royaltyfree game engine for finally being able to release a stable version of 4.0. Today is definitely a cake day!

Comment

Even Github actually went out of their way to respond and retweet the achievement. 12000 PRs for an open source project is not small, they know that.

I actually felt kind of emotional when the main page switched to 4.0 Latest and 3.5.1 LTS.

Comment

congrats to the godot team,

Comment

I love that they kept the codebase lean and cleaner.
          It's a very important part of what makes Godot what it is.
          The improvements and new features list is quite impressive, regarding quality and quantity.

Great work!

Comment

Looks really good, will have to give Godot a try soon. Congrats to the team.

Comment

Big up to the team, they really are amazing.

A necessary but unfortunate consequence is that games may have to be massively refactored if you want to upgrade from 3.X to 4.0. Just so much has changed. I've tried and it's been painful, I basically have to rewrite so much of the game from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                Big up to the team, they really are amazing.

A necessary but unfortunate consequence is that games may have to be massively refactored if you want to upgrade from 3.X to 4.0. Just so much has changed. I've tried and it's been painful, I basically have to rewrite so much of the game from scratch.
                so the question becomes, how worth while is it to port a game to the new version? I realize this will be on a per game basis, but I cant help but wonder who benefits from it and who doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  so the question becomes, how worth while is it to port a game to the new version? I realize this will be on a per game basis, but I cant help but wonder who benefits from it and who doesn't
                  I would say that 2D games won't see much benefit in the game itself, though the tooling is definitely improved and that can be worthwhile if the intent is to continue maintaining and improving the game. For 3D games there are a lot of new features that are more obviously attractive: Vulkan, FSR, and a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Since the Godot 3.x series is still getting maintained, and even new features added, I would say, stay within the 3.x "ecosystem" (yes, we might as well call it an ecosystem of its own - or maybe a "sub-ecosystem").

Once there are no further releases for the 3.x series, *and* there is some dire and compelling reason to need to migrate to 4.x, then and only then migrate, I say. More tools and guides for such migrations will come along later - best to wait for those to ripen up to some sort of maturity, to maximally ensmoothen the process.

Comment

Working...
                    X