Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD GPUOpen FidelityFX FSR2 v2.2 Published

Phoronix: AMD GPUOpen FidelityFX FSR2 v2.2 Published

AMD's GPUOpen team has published the source code for their FidelityFX FSR2 v2.2 update. This update brings improved image quality for more cases, integration enhancements, a new debug API checker, and other refinements over the earlier FSR2 code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The application-side FSR2 API has changed, so updating to FSR 2.2 from 2.1.2 will take some work, but it should be straightforward. Developers should pay particular attention to the changes related to mask generation to get the best quality upscale.
    So, unlike what I read about with DLSS, I won't be able to just drag-and-drop some updated DLLs and profit. That part sucks.

Hopefully the games I play with FSR2 will take the update sooner rather than later and that it fixes shimmering and whatnot like shown in this Hogwarts Legacy comparison video.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So, unlike what I read about with DLSS, I won't be able to just drag-and-drop some updated DLLs and profit. That part sucks.
      Doing so with DLSS sometimes leads to worse quality.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Doing so with DLSS sometimes leads to worse quality.
        And leads to dramatically better quality in many other cases, be it just to get rid of disgusting force-enabled DLSS temporal sharpen that fortunately has been dropped (may it burn in hell).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Hopefully the games I play with FSR2 will take the update sooner rather than later and that it fixes shimmering and whatnot like shown in this Hogwarts Legacy comparison video.
          Developer here who's actually put FSR into a non supported game, you're kinda dodging a key logical point here. Replacing the DLSS dll isn't the supported method either, you are bypassing the native code and still possibly leading to errors just like when injecting FSR into the DLSS hook. But technically you can download FSR build it and swap it into game. While it's not as easy, someone else will still do it for you and result in the same effort from a consumer standpoint. Saying it's easier on DLSS negates the fact someone built the dll in the first place for you and kinda sounds like a way to make one or the other look better. This being an open source forum I'm highly biased toward openGPU and hope DLSS dies in a fire along with cuda, but still both work really really similarly in this respect and result in really amazing results.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            And leads to dramatically better quality in many other cases, be it just to get rid of disgusting force-enabled DLSS temporal sharpen that fortunately has been dropped (may it burn in hell).
            But can't you just continue doing that? As far as I understood it, you just won't profit from the improvements by v2.2, but everything else should continue to work?

Comment

Originally posted by JosiahBradley View Post

Developer here who's actually put FSR into a non supported game, you're kinda dodging a key logical point here. Replacing the DLSS dll isn't the supported method either, you are bypassing the native code and still possibly leading to errors just like when injecting FSR into the DLSS hook. But technically you can download FSR build it and swap it into game. While it's not as easy, someone else will still do it for you and result in the same effort from a consumer standpoint. Saying it's easier on DLSS negates the fact someone built the dll in the first place for you and kinda sounds like a way to make one or the other look better. This being an open source forum I'm highly biased toward openGPU and hope DLSS dies in a fire along with cuda, but still both work really really similarly in this respect and result in really amazing results.
              It's now fully and officially supported starting with DLSS version 3.1. And considering how few games outright break when using an "unsupported" DLSS dll, you may as well think it's a solved issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                But can't you just continue doing that? As far as I understood it, you just won't profit from the improvements by v2.2, but everything else should continue to work?
                You mean with regard to FSR 2? Unfortunately, every game that does ship it as a DLL just crashes when you replace the DLL with a newer version. No idea if this is due to bad API/ABI compatibility design by AMD or if the games just run a simple hash check and refuse to run when it fails. As AMD, unlike Nvidia, unfortunately doesn't digitally sign the DLLs, which is why you can replace the DLSS DLL even in many (though not all) online games.

Comment

DLL Hack? And what else? Change XMS memory to EMS and modify config.sys to move DOS to HMA?

You got discount for the game or something that you need to make it work as intended?
                  If you go to the restaurant and get worse meal for the same price, just because your skin color is incorrect, would you "repaint" your skin to get the better meal?
                  So why are you buying games from developers that refuse to support your hardware to the point it ruins your gaming experience somehow?
                  With open source free technology that isn't any harder to implement, can even use DLSS API, and works on every hardware including older nvidia ones?

If someone wants to put a vendor lock on you just show them middle finger.
                  Last edited by sobrus; 17 February 2023, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
                    If someone wants to put a vendor lock on you just show them middle finger.
                    DLSS should not be closed source and proprietary, thats just stupid.

But being vendor specific makes sense. The hardware and APIs are just different than an AMD or Intel GPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X