Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by darkuttek View Post
    Anyone heard of the Wintermute? It's some sort of "Engine Development Kit ... for creating and running graphical ?point&click? adventure games". The source is licensed under LGPLv3. At the moment the engine runs only in Windows.

What's interesting, however, is that there are some indie game companies using this engine in their games. For example the Finnish Turmoil Games uses the engine on its upcoming horror adventure game Alpha Polaris.

There is interest for a port among users, and apparently one user has also been thinking about doing a port -- but quite probably won't have enough time alone for it. So if there are people interested in helping him it could also bring some new commercial adventure games running native on Linux.
    That's a really interesting project, strangely I hadn't hear for it before. It's ssad how many great free projects don't have a Linux port...

Comment

• Svartalf you might need to move some titles around as gog.com has closed down (at least for now).

Comment

• Truespace

Id love to see this application ported to Linux, seeing as how its free now maybe this can be done?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
          Svartalf you might need to move some titles around as gog.com has closed down (at least for now).

Wow... That's a bit of a surprise. Yeah, I'm thinking there might be a bit of a re-evaluation coming up because of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Wow... That's a bit of a surprise. Yeah, I'm thinking there might be a bit of a re-evaluation coming up because of that.
            This GOG business is really weird stuff -- it isn't clear at all whether it has shut down, bought by some other company *COUGH* Valve *COUGH* or whether this is only a very bad PR stunt before moving out of Beta phase.

It seems that the company owning GOG has been having financial troubles, and that there is a meeting by the owners coming up this week -- and apparently some private party has bought quite a big percentage of shares. The question remaining, however, is what this means to this service loved by so many. Some have speculated with GOG being required to add DRM...

Well, we'll find out quite soon. But if this is only a PR stunt, it certainly hasn't brought thus far anything good for this company:
            http://www.facebook.com/gogcom#!/gogcom?v=wall

Comment

• Rumor has it that DRM-free is one of the main reasons for things going the way it was.

Originally posted by GOG-twitter-feed
              Sometimes it's really hard being DRM-free... hard to keep things the way they are and keep management and publishers happy
              Which, indicates that this was the premise under which this all happened.

If so, the management and publishers should realize that this is part of the REASON that GoG was doing well over pretty much everyone else. But, sadly, the idiots seem to think that all of this "content" is a magic money machine and it's a license to print themselves riches forevermore.

DRM gets introduced, they're going to see people just go back to P2P and go about infringing the hell out of it instead of paying for it legally at a fair price.

Comment

• Almost certainly a marketing stunt

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                Svartalf you might need to move some titles around as gog.com has closed down (at least for now).
                Several different sources point to this being a (poorly-conceived) marketing stunt:
                NeoGaf's source

Kotaku's story

Blog pointing to the same info as above

So chances are the site will "magically" pop up on the 22nd again, with some explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
                  Several different sources point to this being a (poorly-conceived) marketing stunt:
                  NeoGaf's source

Kotaku's story

Blog pointing to the same info as above

So chances are the site will "magically" pop up on the 22nd again, with some explanation.
                  I hope it is a poorly thought out marketing stunt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                    I hope it is a poorly thought out marketing stunt.
                    There seems to be an update:

Originally posted by GOG.com
                    UPDATE 20.09.2010
                    First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to [email protected] if you're a media representative or to [email protected] if you're a user without a GOG account.
                    Doesn't seem to clear anything up yet. Seems like we have to wait until Wednesday to know for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Something I posted on another forum:

If their native language isn't English I'm willing to cut them some slack about the wording on their announcements. The original message could be read as "We've thought about it, and GOG can't stay as it is. Thank you for your support so far, its been great. The concept behind GOG isn't gone, though we're closing down the current service while we sort out some stuff.". Unfortunately their update, presumably intended to dispel some misunderstandings and false conclusions, was also ambiguous enough to be open to interpretation. However, "..we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion... Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons." does sound like their saying, "We had to shut down the site/etc. because management and the tech guys said so. Sorry about the wrong impressions this has caused".

The 'statement' they're releasing today should have coincided with closing down the site, but I'm happy to blame either executive meddling or just general executive stuff up (announcing what they're actually doing, mainly). I wouldn't be surprised if they unveil the new service, though, since it would explain them shutting down a few days prior (much easier to revamp stuff if you're not working on an active system).

Comment

Working...
                      X