Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by b15hop View Post
    Just install the scummvm "scumm virtual machine". It made games like monkey island possible on linux. They don't really need native code to run as performance isn't an issue.
    If you clicked the link you'd see that suggestion was for the new Monkey Island games, not the original ones from LucasArts. The last Monkey Island game that used the SCUMM engine was The Curse of Monkey Island from 1997.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nevtus View Post
      If you clicked the link you'd see that suggestion was for the new Monkey Island games, not the original ones from LucasArts. The last Monkey Island game that used the SCUMM engine was The Curse of Monkey Island from 1997.
      Ok yeah, 3D games should be native. Didn't know those existed. Are they as good as the original LucasArts games?

Comment

• Originally posted by b15hop View Post
        Ok yeah, 3D games should be native. Didn't know those existed. Are they as good as the original LucasArts games?
        Never played them myself but I've heard they're okay but not on the same level as the originals. I've heard better things from the new Sam & Max games but I've yet to play those either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nevtus View Post
          Never played them myself but I've heard they're okay but not on the same level as the originals. I've heard better things from the new Sam & Max games but I've yet to play those either.
          I've played the new sam and max. The original games were sweet. The new ones are not as in your face as the originals but still funny none the less.

Comment

• Just to be clear, ScummVM _is_ native, it's a reverse engineered engine, not an emulator.

As for Monkey Island in 3D, Escape wasn't very good, Tales is great, but not as good as the original Ron Gilbert games of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by whizse View Post
              Just to be clear, ScummVM _is_ native, it's a reverse engineered engine, not an emulator.

As for Monkey Island in 3D, Escape wasn't very good, Tales is great, but not as good as the original Ron Gilbert games of course.
              "Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion" VM

The engine itself is native and since it's decoding a script I guess it is native. I know it runs perfectly fine in linux. It's a shame the newer titles can't be done this way. I always had an inclination that it ran native in a reversed engineered kind of way. I know that with curse of the monkey island it's possible to get both CD's and copy the data over to the hard disk, allowing the game to run start to end seamlessly unlike the windows version. That's how all games should be done.

ScummVM is a collection of game engines for playing classic graphical RPGs and point-and-click adventure games on modern hardware.

Cheers for the clarification though.

Comment

• Yeah, ScummVM is a real gold mine for adventure gaming. Not only for the old LucasArts classics, but for bringing to light (and sometimes freeing) a lot of other games.

Comment

• SCUMMVM is also (AFAIK) the best way to play the old Sierra adventure games like Space Quest, Kings Quest, Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry.

Comment

• Frozen Synapse
                    from FAQ
                    What kind of game is Frozen Synapse?

Frozen Synapse is a single player and multiplayer simultaneous-turn-based tactical game.
                    Also being released on OSX.

Comment

• Also for Linux? I'm not sure about that as I didn't closely follow that game.

Comment

Working...
                      X