Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    I wouldn't count it. Most likely it'll be a separate platform.
    Hopefully I'm wrong.
    ... but even if I'm not wrong, the community could always create some type of Chromium OS emulator, and run Chrome OS games on Linux - so we'll win something either way.

- Gilboa
    Never mind, they are using X.org for their window system, so I don't think there's any real worry. Of course, Chrome OS is geared towards running web-based programs though, but you should still be able to run normal ones too. If so, this interoperability will really help the Linux software ecosystem. Now to just come up with a universal packaging format or include existing ones like Zero Install inside distros by default. ^^

Comment

• Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      Never mind, they are using X.org for their window system, so I don't think there's any real worry. Of course, Chrome OS is geared towards running web-based programs though, but you should still be able to run normal ones too. If so, this interoperability will really help the Linux software ecosystem. Now to just come up with a universal packaging format or include existing ones like Zero Install inside distros by default. ^^
      No sure if you tried Quake Live (I did *), but given the right API (C/CPP?) and the well designed browser services there's nothing major stopping you from doing an AAA game port for Chromium OS.
      This, of-course, depends on the hardware that will be selected by Google. A capable 3D chipset (Tegra?) will go a long way to get the ball rolling.

- Gilboa
      * Sound problem still plague the Linux client, but the FPS is -very- good. Even on my 1201N netbook.
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        No sure if you tried Quake Live (I did *), but given the right API (C/CPP?) and the well designed browser services there's nothing major stopping you from doing an AAA game port for Chromium OS.
        This, of-course, depends on the hardware that will be selected by Google. A capable 3D chipset (Tegra?) will go a long way to get the ball rolling.

- Gilboa
        * Sound problem still plague the Linux client, but the FPS is -very- good. Even on my 1201N netbook.
        True, but if Chrome OS can also run normal out-of-browser standard Linux apps too, that helps, because not everyone is going to make web apps even though I think that'll be great since it could be the one unified platform between everything, but we'll see..

Comment

• So how have things been, Svartalf? It feels like radio silence in here. :P

Also, look into porting everything Ice-Pick Lodge makes ever. Seriously, I'd love to play Pathologic or The Void in Linux. Also, they're Russian, so they probably have some contact with Linux which might smooth the experience a bit/lessen resistance.

http://www.ice-pick.com/ Web site

Comment

• Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
            So how have things been, Svartalf? It feels like radio silence in here. :P
            Snowed under. Trying to close out the Chapter 2 release of Caster, coupled with a release of it for ARM Linux. There's the alpha I'm debugging of Cortex Command also in the works. But the day job's got a major release that I'm one of the people with the long poles in the tent so I've been a bit busier than usual... The main work on the release is almost done and over with so I should be back to a bit more normal schedule and be able to close out the current titles and look for some more projects off the list then.

Also, look into porting everything Ice-Pick Lodge makes ever. Seriously, I'd love to play Pathologic or The Void in Linux. Also, they're Russian, so they probably have some contact with Linux which might smooth the experience a bit/lessen resistance.

http://www.ice-pick.com/ Web site
            Noted.

Comment

• Let us know if you're looking for beta testers for Cortex Command or the new Caster installment.

Comment

• Telltales Episodic Monkey Island game would be great, I loved the original 2D Monkey Island games. They remain some of the best adventure games around.

SunAge while still not present on the list has taken a disturbing turn, as the buy download link on the site now no longer works. I fear the company is in trouble. It's sad, the game looked really cool and I would have loved to see it on Linux.

Comment

• I'd love to see the games of Telltale ported, and Linux seems to be one of the few platforms they haven't been ported to yet.

(Don't think there's much penguin love at Telltale though, there's a line about "all computers in hell running Linux" in one of the Sam & Max episodes )

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNielsen View Post
                    Telltales Episodic Monkey Island game would be great, I loved the original 2D Monkey Island games. They remain some of the best adventure games around.

SunAge while still not present on the list has taken a disturbing turn, as the buy download link on the site now no longer works. I fear the company is in trouble. It's sad, the game looked really cool and I would have loved to see it on Linux.
                    Just install the scummvm "scumm virtual machine". It made games like monkey island possible on linux. They don't really need native code to run as performance isn't an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                      Just install the scummvm "scumm virtual machine". It made games like monkey island possible on linux. They don't really need native code to run as performance isn't an issue.
                      Right, but not Tales of Monkey Island...

Comment

Working...
                      X