Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Tell them they can have someone to help them make it happen on Linux on the cheap- I'm just almost overbooked right at the moment.
    Thanks for the offer Svartlaf, I passed along your proposal in an e-mail, and this was what they said:
    The biggest problem with a Linux build is how heavily we rely on Steamworks (matchmaking, networking, master server, etc). The second problem is that we are winding down work on ZG over the next couple of months so I don't think I would be able to work on a Linux build (even if somebody else was doing the bulk of the work).

It is a very nice offer however. I personally want to build future games to run cross platform from the start so we can explore releasing a game for Linux and OSX more easily.
    So I guess we can add another notch in the list of games that won't be ported to Linux because there is currently no Steam client

Comment

• we dont even have a real competitor or equivalent to steam. Alot of sad attempts tho.

Comment

• I wonder why Steam has not been ported even to OSX...

Comment

• The biggest problem with a Linux build is how heavily we rely on Steamworks (matchmaking, networking, master server, etc)
          Svartalf, can we compete with this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
            Thanks for the offer Svartlaf, I passed along your proposal in an e-mail, and this was what they said:
            Ouch... But, I'm okay with it all. Tell them if we can figure out something, I'm able and available, time permitting.

So I guess we can add another notch in the list of games that won't be ported to Linux because there is currently no Steam client
            Yeah... I kind of wish those rumblings from Valve on the subject were for serious. But with all the postings of looking for people to work for them on that and game ports and then diddly for nearly the last two years now...

Silence, much like with Epic's story, doesn't bode well for having those things. Though, I have to still wonder. Vince Desi doesn't make statements like there will be a Linux version unless he honestly believes it. For all the BS he does do, it's not in his nature to make statements like that unless he believes it to come to pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              Svartalf, can we compete with this?
              Not directly.

As you observed, many attempts. All petering out before they become something.

There are a handful of multiplayer solutions- some good, some better, but they lack things like community systems, chat-boards, etc. You have to have the framework much like Steamworks (and an infrastructure to MATCH it...) to be able to get studios to sign off on using such tools. The allure of something that bars it being moved from off of Windows is pretty strong in many cases.

Comment

• As an observation, to that remark, though... PenguinPlay might be an answer if Michael Simms could get more traction on things. It's the right direction (i.e. You can provide support for it on Windows and MacOS along with Linux games as the library is cross-platform...) but it's mainly been below the radar.

Comment

• What about "Brink"?
                  Try to get your foot in the door while it's still open and not when it's too late.

Comment

• Yes. All their other job, have a Linux port. It would be succesful to have it in time.

Comment

• i dont think SD has ruled out a linux port for brink. I would think that it has a fairly good chance, many at SD are infact linux users.

Comment

Working...
                      X