Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
    Another possibility is Joe Danger from Hello Games. In this interview one of the developers says he's made Linux and Mac builds but doesn't know if anyone would want them
    can someone bring light into exactly what the hell is going through their heads!!@!!@! I would buy it tomorrow just to prove em wrong .

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      If ever a Linux game sees the light of life by accident, I'll by a dozen copies...
      Heh... Careful there...you might be on the hook for a dozen copies.
      Last edited by Svartalf; 10 January 2010, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        can someone bring light into exactly what the hell is going through their heads!!@!!@!
        Remember what I've been saying for a while. They don't know this space- and in many cases, they don't always have the time unless they're a user of Linux. If they're a user, they tend to try to make time.

In this case, they're from Criterion UK and similar development studios (The guy was a dev lead on things like Burnout 3...)- they would mostly only fully grok the console space.

I would buy it tomorrow just to prove em wrong .
        It looks like a cool game. I know I'm interested in the thing. I've already popped over to their forums and let 'em know that there might actually be something of a market for them with our crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          It looks like a cool game. I know I'm interested in the thing. I've already popped over to their forums and let 'em know that there might actually be something of a market for them with our crowd.
          I assume you pointed them to the figures 2dboy and Wolfire have published?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
            I assume you pointed them to the figures 2dboy and Wolfire have published?
            Not yet... Got to start the conversation first. I've already alluded to those two and Elecorn, though. Already told Wolfire that if they don't have the Linux port lined up with Ryan or internally on Overgrowth to contact me. I'll be pinging them on it shortly if I don't hear from them.

Comment

• The numbers for 2dboy and wolfire are posted on their websites so you may as well stick them up in your post as it proves the point that there is a demand for it (5-10% for linux or 35%-50%! for both is nothing to be sniffed at!).

http://2dboy.com/2009/03/26/gdc_updates/ (pdf of the slides used)

Last I checked, Mac OS X had around a 5% market share, and Linux had much less than that (among consumers). I can feel that many PHBs look at this small number and think "5%? Why should I support a whole new platform when I could just blow some more ...

As a completely unrelated topic are you offering to do mac ports to the developers you approach as well as linux or just linux? Doing both might make for an easier sale.

Also have you talked to the guys behind Kivi's Underworld as it looks like they are actively looking to port their games and your name comes up with Ryan's and LGP but I doubt they'll have your contact details.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                As a completely unrelated topic are you offering to do mac ports to the developers you approach as well as linux or just linux? Doing both might make for an easier sale.
                Just Linux stuff for the most part right now- mainly because the studios I've talked to up to this point have a Mac person already lined up. The development effort's similar, but not identical, and I'd have to do the Hackintosh thing or fetch me one to do the work. I plan on gearing up a bit for that as that's part of how Ryan's been getting gigs.

Also have you talked to the guys behind Kivi's Underworld as it looks like they are actively looking to port their games and your name comes up with Ryan's and LGP but I doubt they'll have your contact details.

I've got to re-send my stuff to Data Realms (seems the paste orifice lost the dang things...) and I should be talking with them and one or two other studios here shortly. Since, apparently, people have been mentioning me, I'll do it much sooner than later.

Comment

Just Linux stuff for the most part right now- mainly because the studios I've talked to up to this point have a Mac person already lined up. The development effort's similar, but not identical, and I'd have to do the Hackintosh thing or fetch me one to do the work. I plan on gearing up a bit for that as that's part of how Ryan's been getting gigs.
                  Fair enough

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  I've got to re-send my stuff to Data Realms (seems the paste orifice lost the dang things...) and I should be talking with them and one or two other studios here shortly. Since, apparently, people have been mentioning me, I'll do it much sooner than later.
                  I understand your frustration with the post office I've had nothing but problems with them lately. I assume it was the NDA/contract you were sending them... can't wait to see the final product.

Comment

Heh... Careful there...you might be on the hook for a dozen copies.
                    Hehehe I thought I would pass unnoticed

Comment

• I'd like to see the wimgcomander series also(Have Prophecy still on the CD rack)

While looking There's one i cant believe I/we missed,

Sinstar unleased, THQ/Midway

It was extremely addictive!

Not sure if interplay was soaked up by EA but what about MDK/2 ?

Is SCI still going? what about the carmageddon series? Ok it's getting on a bit, but it was fun.

Pete

Edit: had a look on sci.co.uk and they do a mac version/demo!
                      Last edited by pete910; 12 January 2010, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X