Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Is the paradox deal only for that europe game, or can it apply to other games by them? I'd like to see Hearts of Iron III ported to linux.
    Well, the initial project was to port EU2 and the corresponding engine code over. Once done, we were planning on asking for permission to finalize, test, and publish through Gamersgate everything they'd let us do the work on. Hearts of Iron is as desired and sought after as EU2 is- and we'd be asking to be allowed to do the whole back-catalog once we got the first bit of work done.

Comment

• Originally posted by penguin_from_hell View Post
      Maybe "Ankh 3" would be an option too. It looks like Rune-Soft doesn't plan to release any linux ports in the future so far.

I just want to know how the story goes on. ;-)
      Considering that Runesoft seems to still be doing MacOS ports, it would be up to what the verbiage of their contract states as to whether anyone else could even DO a Linux version. Main reason they aren't doing much more Linux versions is that the versions they have done haven't sold as well as they'd hoped. I won't comment at length on the reasons for this, but will leave it at an observation that it's not due to a lack of potential customers...

If Runesoft's got the deal locked fully down on the rights for a Linux version from Deck13's stuff, you're going to have to sell THEM on releasing the rights or allowing someone like myself to do the work or bankroll the publishing of the project. I'll be honest with you and tell you that my funds aren't that good right at the moment (owning show horses can do that to you... ) so it'll have to depend on whether the rights were reserved for each version done or if Runesoft can be convinced to release subsequent versions after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Main reason they aren't doing much more Linux versions is that the versions they have done haven't sold as well as they'd hoped. I won't comment at length on the reasons for this, but will leave it at an observation that it's not due to a lack of potential customers...
        Shoddy porting? Lack of patches to fix bugs? Mmmm

Anyway the finalists at the Independent Games Festival might be a good place to look at some porting projects.

Comment

• I bought RobinHood which they ported some years ago.
          In the game menu it says "exit to windows"...
          They've yet to fix that simple thing...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
            Shoddy porting? Lack of patches to fix bugs? Mmmm
            No comment...

Anyway the finalists at the Independent Games Festival might be a good place to look at some porting projects.
            Heh... Already tapping one of them right now (Data Realms for Cortex Command...) I've got one of the entrants from last year's competition (Elecorn with Caster 3D...) and I'm going to mine that space.
            Last edited by Svartalf; 06 January 2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Well I might as well throw another game in while I'm here. I did notice it was mentioned in the first thread, but could not find a follow-up, but I would love to see something happen with Anachronox.

As far as I can chase up, the rights belong to Eidos Interactive (I can't tell if that would be problematic), and I believe the source code is still in existence as one of the programmers released an unofficial patch (including engine fixes) after the demise of Ion Storm.

Comment

• Another possibility is Joe Danger from Hello Games. In this interview one of the developers says he's made Linux and Mac builds but doesn't know if anyone would want them: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...Joe_Danger.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Kazashi View Post
                  Well I might as well throw another game in while I'm here. I did notice it was mentioned in the first thread, but could not find a follow-up, but I would love to see something happen with Anachronox.
                  Several would.

As far as I can chase up, the rights belong to Eidos Interactive (I can't tell if that would be problematic), and I believe the source code is still in existence as one of the programmers released an unofficial patch (including engine fixes) after the demise of Ion Storm.
                  The rights would be the biggie. If you're right on the code, then that's not what'd be at issue, it'd be Eidos' play, or rather, it'd be Square Enix' play...

Not sure precisely what Square'd tell us. I'll add it to the "maybe" list and do some quiet enquiries once we have a few more wins under our collective belts here.

Comment

• Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
                    Another possibility is Joe Danger from Hello Games. In this interview one of the developers says he's made Linux and Mac builds but doesn't know if anyone would want them: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...Joe_Danger.php
                    Reeealy? The game looks kind of fun- and they're an IGF finalist, even.

I guess I kind of need to talk with Hello then, don't I?

Comment

• Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
                      Another possibility is Joe Danger from Hello Games. In this interview one of the developers says he's made Linux and Mac builds but doesn't know if anyone would want them: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...Joe_Danger.php
                      If ever a Linux game sees the light of life by accident, I'll by a dozen copies...

Comment

Working...
                      X