Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    Is this a Turkish made game? Hard to tell when they hide behind their publisher. Also important to note that it doesn't look like they have asian or north/south american support.

What happens if the prospective title is free to play/pay to play? You cant charge people for obtaining the game, you would need to charge them for the stuff they buy inside the game. So by the sounds of it you would need to setup the master to identify a Linux install or something like that. Any thoughts on this anyone?

btw, welcome to phoronix meGenius

seems you have alot of 1 posters here who register to voice what they would like to see ported. I cant imagine how many dont do it simply because they dont want to register (which is by all means acceptable). Maybe theres a way to go about hearing these people?
    hey, man, sorry for late reply...
    i don't know a lot about this game, but i want this to be availble for linux because a have two friends who can't move to linux because of this game, & this is the reason only..
    about the second question, i think a simplile php-mysql-powered page, could solve the problem..

rgrds ||| meGenius

Comment

• Originally posted by meGenius View Post
      about the second question, i think a simplile php-mysql-powered page, could solve the problem..
      already solved. good ole email

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        already solved. good ole email
        nice to hear,,

so, what about CABAL online?? could it be converted to linux or not??

rgrds ||| meGenius

Comment

• Ubisoft has a lot of nice titles.
          3d shooter's i.e farcry
          Simulation i.e Silent Hunter series

Id love to see any lucasarts stuff.

Edit: Novalogic might be worth taking a look into i.e delta force series
          Last edited by Pickle; 21 July 2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Probably modified versions of the UE2 codebase. Let me think about where to place this set. I'm inclined to think "maybe", but we as an audience for them, aren't big enough in their estimation (wrong, I know, but...) to rate getting a deal like that. Getting ANY of those translates into a high 5, low 6-figure license deal for the IP access unless you can find someone to open doors for us on that one.
            I know its really late replying to this, but what do you mean by "unless you can find someone to open doors for us on that one"?

Comment

• AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity is possibly the best title for any game ever. It's also a title that would be really neat to have for Linux.

Comment

• There's probably no use in mentioning it, since Sam & Max is already in the "maybes" and it's from the same people, using the same engine and has the same distribution-model (episode-wise) but I'll do it anyway:
                I think the new Monkey Island game Tales of Monkey Island would be a great success with us linux users, just as the new Sam & Max episodes would be. I for sure would love to buy them.

Comment

• Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
                  I know its really late replying to this, but what do you mean by "unless you can find someone to open doors for us on that one"?
                  Unless you can get someone within the studio with enough pull to arrange decent terms or know someone within the publisher that can do the same- we're going to, at minimum, pass the hat on rights access.

Otherwise, you're going to likely find that they won't give you the time of day. (Ask a few of the people in the threads who have done a little of the initial leg work on a couple of the AAA titles- they'll tell you that the studio/publisher "want a solid business plan"- which typically translates into ponying up the access royalties that they want from you, what timelines you THINK you're going to take making it (i.e. they typically want set-in-stone deliverables dates, even if they aren't publishing it...), and what means you think you're going to use to market and sell the title.)

Comment

• http://racer.nl hasn't had a linux version since a long time, but the screenshots look really nice.

And isn't it possible to get gta1&2 ported to linux?
                    These games are available for free

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Unless you can get someone within the studio with enough pull to arrange decent terms or know someone within the publisher that can do the same- we're going to, at minimum, pass the hat on rights access.

Otherwise, you're going to likely find that they won't give you the time of day. (Ask a few of the people in the threads who have done a little of the initial leg work on a couple of the AAA titles- they'll tell you that the studio/publisher "want a solid business plan"- which typically translates into ponying up the access royalties that they want from you, what timelines you THINK you're going to take making it (i.e. they typically want set-in-stone deliverables dates, even if they aren't publishing it...), and what means you think you're going to use to market and sell the title.)
                      Okay, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I do not believe I know anyone at EA UK Bright Light Studios.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Yes, I have.

The biggest drawback is going to be that many of the publishers are going to want big bucks on royalties for the rights to the title.

Of course, that changes a bit over time and if we could get someone with their foot in the door (Someone like one of the senior devs over at Bizarre Games for example...he's porting stuff over from Dreamcast to Pandora/Linux and he's just working towards getting permissions to publish/release the same...) it would work out decently.

Last time anyone looked into that sort of thing they weren't open to much of anything. But that was a couple of years back. I'll check into it here shortly.

I believe they ported it themselves to MacOS. I know they also ported it to the PC at one point under their own brand. We'd have to have a bit better visibility market-segment wise for that sort of thing to happen.
                      For Sonic games, it might help to note that there is work into replicating the engine used for Sonic 1, 2, and 3 that is for Windows at them moment. It would simply require the grueling work necessary to port the game data over, as well as porting the engine itself.

The engine is ProSonic. There are other engines out there, but ProSonic is aimed to be accurate in reference to the original engine used for Sonic 1, 2, and 3.

All that would be necessary is acquiring the license for the game data. Sonic CD would be especially important to port since it doesn't work on Windows NT or Wine. The Sonic CD game for PC is a very old engine, one that was originally ported from Windows 3.x to Windows 95.

Additionally, there is a group that is basically remastering Sonic 2 as a more modern game, using a fresh new engine and graphics. Unfortunately, it is also Windows only at the moment.
                      Last edited by King InuYasha; 23 July 2009, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X