Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Again something that a vm running linux can easily handle.
    This is more like a workaround hack than an actual solution, though. :/

@topic: Out of curiosity, Svartalf, you updated the first post a couple weeks back (a little bit after the thread opened, as I recall it). Has anything changed, have things been moved around at all, etc? No pressure; just curious.

Comment

Again something that a vm running linux can easily handle.
      Why should I work in a shitty environment ( Windows ) and run Linux in a VM? This is like drive a rusty old car you have to kick the wheel every minute so you can continue driving and having a toy Ferrari on your tights. I want to work with a professional environment ( Linux ) as much as I can, one which is fast, stable and contains tools which are worth their name. So why should I give this all up?

Comment

No offense but if the issue is that big then you should use the OS that supports it all. In this case that would be Windows. If you actually needed something in linux could use many of the vm solutions out there and run your linux apps in there. As far as torrenting goes, that's a pretty easy solution as well. Save to a volume that both OS's can write too and use a multiplatform client such as ktorrent or azureus or deluge, etc and save the torrent files to the same directory. Alternatively use a NAS solution and use it's torrent client. Most nowdays are linux based and modding them isn't a big issue. Personally I use apps that are crossplatform and switching from one OS to another is not a pain at all, my FF bookmarks and such carry over, torrents keep downloading, if a "linux only" app is really needed for a certian task then I fire up a VM utilizing the same /home folder as the native install and work away. There are plenty of solutions out there, you just have to be willing to set it up to minimize the need for frequent dual booting. Developers have been pulling this off for years and with the price of multicore processors out there isn't much excuse.
        I didn't say something different, I just said it's impractical to dual boot even if you use cross platform apps. It's annoyinng to listen your music and then stop it to reboot to the other OS and open the playlist there just to see that yopu forgot to save a playlist or stop your download while you caught a good speed just to load it to the other OS etc... there are other things that could be used as examples as well but not needed. I don't say you can't do your job with dual booting, of course you can, but it can be irritating sometimes, impractical and for sure isn't easier as if you do it in one OS (it's the same as if you download link by link for an ftp server or you use an ftp client, both ways work but the first one is not practical).
        Virtual machines is a totally irrelevant thing. They don't have to do with dual boot at all.
        Now if you want to use just one OS for everything you do then you have to choose between Linux and Windows. I'm not so eager as you to say windows only because every person has different needs. If you need some specific proffessional app for your job then you will choose the OS that supports it and 90% this will be windows. If you are a gamer then you will go with windows as well. If you are a developer well depends and if you are a casual user with some surfing, some gaming, some movies etc then you go with Linux because there is really no need to pay for windows and their "neccesary" programs.
        Whenever you reply deanjo you convert the thread to an OS war, but, seriously, do you want to destroy this gaming thread? I don't.
        Last edited by Apopas; 16 June 2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          Why should I work in a shitty environment ( Windows ) and run Linux in a VM? This is like drive a rusty old car you have to kick the wheel every minute so you can continue driving and having a toy Ferrari on your tights. I want to work with a professional environment ( Linux ) as much as I can, one which is fast, stable and contains tools which are worth their name. So why should I give this all up?
          because the default windows xp theme is worth every penny?

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            because the default windows xp theme is worth every penny?
            Since when is the default XP theme "nice"... it's the first thing I eradicate from a newly installed windows machine :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Since when is the default XP theme "nice"... it's the first thing I eradicate from a newly installed windows machine :P
              I also miss the blue screen. Blue is obviously my favourite colour.

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                I also miss the blue screen. Blue is obviously my favourite colour.
                Well... KDE is blue by default :P

Comment

• Dear DL what happens when you do something windows doesnt like... 'bugs, Bugs, BUGs!'

the user's minds gets used to this kind of 'processing'...

so when you see a windows 'lover' posting... simply ignore.

ignorance and insanity are 2 very different things.

-best wishes.

Comment

• So, really now - how about Titan Quest? Is it something that can be looked in to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      I didn't say something different, I just said it's impractical to dual boot even if you use cross platform apps. It's annoyinng to listen your music and then stop it to reboot to the other OS and open the playlist there just to see that yopu forgot to save a playlist or stop your download while you caught a good speed just to load it to the other OS etc... there are other things that could be used as examples as well but not needed. I don't say you can't do your job with dual booting, of course you can, but it can be irritating sometimes, impractical and for sure isn't easier as if you do it in one OS (it's the same as if you download link by link for an ftp server or you use an ftp client, both ways work but the first one is not practical).
                      Virtual machines is a totally irrelevant thing. They don't have to do with dual boot at all.
                      Now if you want to use just one OS for everything you do then you have to choose between Linux and Windows. I'm not so eager as you to say windows only because every person has different needs. If you need some specific proffessional app for your job then you will choose the OS that supports it and 90% this will be windows. If you are a gamer then you will go with windows as well. If you are a developer well depends and if you are a casual user with some surfing, some gaming, some movies etc then you go with Linux because there is really no need to pay for windows and their "neccesary" programs.
                      Whenever you reply deanjo you convert the thread to an OS war, but, seriously, do you want to destroy this gaming thread? I don't.
                      I'm not turning this into a OS war. I'm just saying your overexagerating "the pain of dualboot" as there are plenty of solutions out there that alleviate the need for dual booting. VM is very relevant, as it is just one of the many solutions that reduce the need to dual boot. Simply choosing a file system that can be accessed by both OS's eliminates a lot of need for rebooting to do another task. All the tasks you listed for "linux" are easily done in windows as well so why reboot? As far as additional cost goes, if your dual booting then you already have the os's needed. No additional cost.
                      Last edited by deanjo; 16 June 2009, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X