Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    How do get the idea that it's not totally legal? Does that mean ioquake3 is not totally legal as well? What about the crapload of Duke3D engines?
    In this case, ioquake, the engine is legal. But, that's an engine, not a game- a game typically is an engine piece coupled with assets such as graphics, music, videos, etc. In the case of ioquake3, you are NOT licensed to distribute Q3:A assets with it (hence, OpenQuake, etc...).

In the case of the SCP2, they distribute an installer that downloads said assets if you don't have them and allows you to download "enhanced" cutscenes, etc.- which isn't legal. With what the studio did, they chose to allow me to give my friend a copy- person to person, face to face. Not allow someone to download even "ehanced" assets- anything remotely resembling what that installer does is not legal, period. Doing what they're doing is going and breaching Interplay's publication rights on that part of the game- and the part that MAKES it a game.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 01 June 2009, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      The reason is that they don't have the source code of the Linux port, they say it has been lost. How is this possible?
      If Bungee didn't merge the changes Loki did with respects to Myth2 into the source tree, then it's entirely conceivable, if you believe they actually managed to get the code back to everyone responsible, that the codebase got misplaced or destroyed while in Bungee's hands. It's not a dead, loss, though- if the source is accessible, it can be redone if needs be.

Comment

• IL-2

I would really like to see IL-2 Sturmovik ported to linux. It's arguably one of the best combat flight sims out there.

I seem to recall some talk with the developers that its not entirely out of the question.

Course if we get that ported the next challenge is convincing Natural Point to make linux drivers for the Track IR

Comment

• Quick note about Gothic 3.

JoWood has rights to code and they actually shared the code with selected group of developers from community already (after they parted ways with original game developer - Piranha Bytes) - and that's how we've got Gothic 3 Community Patches.
          It was actually win-win situation for them in that case.
          Patches from 1.6 to 1.72 are even marked as game OFFICIAL patches.

JoWood was in pretty bad situation (in terms of image - look up on wikipedia :P, game still sold quite well) when Gothic 3 was released - game was delayed, buggy, performing badly on nearly every machine.

Some members of Jowood Gothic 3 forum came up with initiative to patch the game for themselves.

They started tweaking data/config files and after some time, closely working with Jowood representatives on forum they were even given access to full source code (of course guarded by NDA).

I think it may be possible to get Jowood blessing to create Gothic 3 Linux port.
          Actually - if played well - it could be even possible, at least in theory - to make Linux port for upcoming Arcania - Gohic Tale (a'ka Gothic 4).

New developer - Spellbound - I asked them already on forums about theoretical possibility of creating Linux port and problem with Linux gaming - they said engine is multiplatform and supports OpenGL already and they clearly didn't felt hostile against Linux - just noted that it's only up to publisher - Jowood - to decide about target platforms.

For now, PC and XBox-360 has been somewhat confirmed. Expected release date would be Winter 2009, but I hope it will be delayed - Gothic 3 and addon has been rushed terribly and came up underdeveloped and I hope they learned the lesson already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post

Yes. No conflict-of-interest items with LGP. Sorry.

(Not directed at you...)
            Having said that, if you're interested in seeing things like that, you need to be honest with yourselves and buy the titles in question, including the X3 title already published. Doesn't matter if you've bought it for Windows in a past life. It's a differing SKU. The industry isn't formed with what anyone calls "common sense". The fact that iD still seems to produce it for Windows with an unofficial "patch" is unusual. Epic seems to have quit that practice and BioWare hasn't done any more than NWN that way- more because of publisher interference than anything else that I can tell. You buy the game for the platform you want to run on it.
            The question was why X3 - Terran Conflict was not on the list and honestly I did not get the answer of svartalf...
            Who exactly has a conflict-of-interst with who?
            I bought X2 and X3 from LGP and I'm very happy with it. I also bought the X2 port for Mac OS X and I can say the LGP port is far better!
            But again.. I'm confused about the answer. And what has ID, Epic and Bioware to do with Egosoft's X3 - Terran Conflict?

Comment

• Originally posted by hochglanz View Post
              The question was why X3 - Terran Conflict was not on the list and honestly I did not get the answer of svartalf...
              Originally posted by Svartalf
              I can help with some projects, but not others. I am NOT going into competition with LGP on publishing or running counter to their porting efforts. I am still under contract for some things and there are business dealings and projects that I kind of need to maintain a good relationship with them for now
              Any of this is to get stuff published and out the door. If they self-publish, I do it outside of LGP's influence. If they don't want that, I bring it to LGP for the purposes of publication. It's not a discussion of what LGP may/may not (I can't discuss anything not announced) have in progress of development.

Who exactly has a conflict-of-interst with who?
              I have minimal inputs on what does/does not get ported by LGP- I only do porting work for them. Michael Simms is the one making those sorts of deals. In order for me to work on what you ask for, I'd have to go to Egosoft directly...there's the conflict of interest.

I bought X2 and X3 from LGP and I'm very happy with it. I also bought the X2 port for Mac OS X and I can say the LGP port is far better!
              I'm sure the X2/X3 team will appreciate that. They worked hard to make that happen.

But again.. I'm confused about the answer. And what has ID, Epic and Bioware to do with Egosoft's X3 - Terran Conflict?
              Heh... Everything and nothing.

The X3 version asked for is something that'd be up to LGP's deal-maker to arrange, not me. He KNOWS everyone probably wants it...

But...the big problem is people BUYING it. You're not the problem and the comment wasn't directed at you or anyone that bought like you did. The big problem is with people going "meh...it's too expensive and I can run it in WINE"- and it's hurting our position trying to get games on Linux.

It's why BioWare isn't likely to do DragonAge for us.

It's why Atari nixed NWN2 for Linux even though there was evidence that we were a viable demographic.

It's part of why we don't have UT3.

It's part of why we don't have official versions of iD's stuff (No, the only official version of iD's games were the trial ballon of the DooM pack, the Quake Packs, and Quake3:Arena. Q3:A sold only about 200 copies for Linux retail- never mind that 15-20% of the Windows sales were actually Linux people buying and converting. Mainly because they couldn't wait for the Linux version to be out.) We've not had an official version for quite some time now.

It's not a foregone conclusion that you will see the X3 follow on or Sacred2. Not because they're hostile towards us, but because the deal's got to do decently or they're just not going to give us the time of day.

It only does decently if it sells.

Comment

• i like the old action and adventure games and here are some games i liked a lot:

some Bitmap Brothers' games (Xenon 2, Speedball 2, God)
                terminal velocity
                Quest for Glory 1 and 2, Gabriel Knight 1 (Sierra Online)
                Another World, Prince of Persia, Flashback
                Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 1 and 2, Zak Mac Kraken
                Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore 1 and 2, Ultima 7
                populous
                Privateer 1 and 2
                Titan (2d pinball game, which had a damn fast animation)
                some good Shoot'm Up (xenon2 that i mentioned above, R-Type, Battle Squadron, Thunder Force 3, etc...)

and Captain Blood which was one of my first game

just some ideas...

regards

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  It's not a dead, loss, though- if the source is accessible, it can be redone if needs be.
                  Then why they didn't do it all these years? As far as I remember they had said a linux port was in the work but then they say about the loss
                  It's hard to have the native Linux game and to be force to use the wine version...

Comment

• Originally posted by vtorri View Post
                    Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 1 and 2, Zak Mac Kraken
                    This. Oh and this.

Edit: just remembered the games in the quote should all be playable under scummvm (I know MI & DotT do)
                    Last edited by Aradreth; 01 June 2009, 06:48 PM. Reason: Stupidity

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      Then why they didn't do it all these years? As far as I remember they had said a linux port was in the work but then they say about the loss
                      It's hard to have the native Linux game and to be force to use the wine version...
                      lol can i just SCREAM Ventrillo ?

Linux client in development for 5+ years? maybe 6 im not sure. If they are not going to bother building it I suggest they remove it from their site. It just gives us false hope.

Comment

Working...
                      X