No announcement yet.

Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They only talk about a mac port in the FAQ so there is currently no linux client on the board. In their forums wishlist thread linux is mentioned but they only offer wine as a solution.

Comment

• What about any of the games from Malfador Machinations? The Space Empires series alone would be great, though SE IV now runs well under wine.

Comment

• hey Svartalf, Have you look into porting Nexus: The Jupiter Incident?

Comment

• Moonbase Alpha (from NASA) would have been nice to have on Linux, but I guess the chances of a port are small, it being based on UE3.

Somebody on Slashdot suggested filing a FOIA request for the source, but I kind of doubt that would work...

Comment

• Originally posted by whizse View Post
            Somebody on Slashdot suggested filing a FOIA request for the source, but I kind of doubt that would work...
            That sounds so ridiculous it might just work. The same tactic could possibly then be applied to attain the sources of AA.

Comment

Moonbase Alpha (from NASA) would have been nice to have on Linux, but I guess the chances of a port are small, it being based on UE3.
              One huge problem with your suggestion, UE3! Since Epic is lazy doesn't care about their costumers like any big money maker company, they won't do anything to support the port of their game engine. UT3 was supposed to be ported but no body knows what actually happened. Epic blames Ryan Gordon and vice-versa is also true.

Anyway, I've checked the website it seems pretty cool as a game!

Comment

• Yeah, I guess it being an UE3 game places it pretty high on the not-bloody-likely list. OTOH, rumor has it Ryan owns the copyright to the unfinished port, so maybe somebody with deep pockets could help clean up the mess.

Having a Linux port for Moonbase Alpha could also mean getting a foot in when it comes to the upcoming NASA MMO too.

Comment

• he can't own anything related to a game such UT3, he does have copyright only on the coding part concerning the port, the source code and the art content are owned by epic! AFAIK, he was contracted to port! so he is a licensee.

Comment

Yeah, I guess it being an UE3 game places it pretty high on the not-bloody-likely list. OTOH, rumor has it Ryan owns the copyright to the unfinished port, so maybe somebody with deep pockets could help clean up the mess.
                    Ryan probably currently owns the rights to the derivative work (Having gotten permission to do the same under contract as a work for hire- and then didn't get paid for the same...), yes. But he doesn't have a derivative works publication license to do anything with it. That's still Epic's call- and I don't see things changing from what they currently look like.

Based on the rumors we've heard so far on the subject, they probably won't be giving him anything like that- nor will they be paying the back pay they owe him on the work he did for UT2k4 they've not paid him to date or the work he did for them on the stuff for UT3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                      he can't own anything related to a game such UT3, he does have copyright only on the coding part concerning the port, the source code and the art content are owned by epic! AFAIK, he was contracted to port! so he is a licensee.
                      Actually, he was a contract employee- doing a work for hire.

Unfortunately for Epic, if you don't pay for it, you don't get rights to it as it's only a work for hire so long as you pay for said work. Failure to pay (I'm...heh...familiar with this...very familiar with it, to my dismay...) transforms the work back into the worker's own property. Unfortunately, unless the work was solely yours, it's likely to be a derivative work- and as such, you can't publish it on your own without a publication rights agreement. In light of the circumstances, I don't see one of those forthcoming anytime soon. If it ever sees the light of day, it'll be more like how Prey came to us.

Comment

Working...
                      X