No announcement yet.

Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But how is it possible? They guys at project-magma had tried to make a Linux version but weren't able coz of the absence of the source code.
    If they succeed to make a Linux port btw, they will boost their dwindling community we a good amount of new players serious for online gaming. There are still a lot of funs out there

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      But how is it possible? They guys at project-magma had tried to make a Linux version but weren't able coz of the absence of the source code.
      If they succeed to make a Linux port btw, they will boost their dwindling community we a good amount of new players serious for online gaming. There are still a lot of funs out there
      They couldn't make a Linux version, not because of a lack of code (since they HAVE game code...) but because of a lack of someone being on the platform that knew what they needed to do to make it work for Linux.

A port happens from source. It matters little if the source is already Linux-ified or not. If it's been made for Linux once and source is available for that effort, it's simple to make it modern for current systems, libraries, etc. If it's not, it only means you need to simply re-invent the wheel at least one more time.

I'll be in contact with the Project Magma people as well as I've contacted the other party to see what they've got to say in the matter.
      Last edited by Svartalf; 14 January 2010, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• If something comes out of this, I will owe you eternal gratitude!

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          If something comes out of this, I will owe you eternal gratitude!
          By the way...there IS a reason for this being called the "wishlist" thread...

Ask, you might just recieve.

Comment

• Gothic 3

I'd certainly pay around 30? or even more for a ported Version of Gothic 3.
            I'm having a really hard time, because I have the windows game but no windows anymore(and don't want to have again).
            I can't get it to run on my RadeonHD 4670

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              At that point I can hit up GoG for a deal to provide certified and supported titles on Linux for their store to sell- in whatever form we can get 'em (keep in mind, not everything has source code at this time; it's a good chance at least 2/3rds of those titles have had the source lost. At that point WINE and DosBox may be our only options on them- but we'll get them as "official" Linux SKUs though...).
              I would be THRILLED to have Linux SKUs for everything GoG sells- there's lots of stuff there I would like to get (I'd like a Linux native version, but as long as it counts as a Linux sale, that's good enough to get my money).

Comment

By the way...there IS a reason for this being called the "wishlist" thread...

Ask, you might just recieve.
                Hahaha, everything about Linux has a reason huh?

Originally posted by dashcloud
                I would be THRILLED to have Linux SKUs for everything GoG sells- there's lots of stuff there I would like to get (I'd like a Linux native version, but as long as it counts as a Linux sale, that's good enough to get my money).
                Definitely! And since they are older games, their performacne will be fair enough under Wine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lykos View Post
                  I'd certainly pay around 30? or even more for a ported Version of Gothic 3.
                  I'm having a really hard time, because I have the windows game but no windows anymore(and don't want to have again).
                  I can't get it to run on my RadeonHD 4670
                  With Gothic 3 it's possible in this regard that some selected members of Gothic community has already received full game source code under NDA from Jowood and they've released several Community Patches that improved gameplay vastly.
                  On the other hand they were given no money for their work and it's almost certain Jowood wouldn't pay for making Linux/MacOSX port either.

Comment

• I don't see Gothic 3 to be sold in GOG though... just 1 and 2.

Comment

It's on the short-list of things to do over this and next month, actually, along with about three other studios to talk to about deals. Cortex Command's going to be pretty straightforward to get out the door, I think, so I should be able to scoop up another title and with some help maybe two or three of them. At that point I can hit up GoG for a deal to provide certified and supported titles on Linux for their store to sell- in whatever form we can get 'em (keep in mind, not everything has source code at this time; it's a good chance at least 2/3rds of those titles have had the source lost. At that point WINE and DosBox may be our only options on them- but we'll get them as "official" Linux SKUs though...).
                      Great to know Svartalf! Yeah I know some, maybe most of the titles don't have source code available anymore. But at least like you said having "official" SKU's for Linux sounds like a neat idea. So, what do you think the opportunities are for either the Lord of the Realms games, and Knights and Merchants? They are just such awesome old 2d flat fun!

Comment

Working...
                      X