Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
    [*]Fallout 2 (curious if this could be re done with a new 2D engine?)
    ...[*]Alpha Centauri (Own both the windows and linux version. Would be awesome if a new engine could be used, possibly the civ4 engine?)
    ...[*]Deus EX (already own this game, don't know what ever happened to it, maybe it could be ported using a newer 3D engine and higher detail textures?)[/LIST]
    Redoing the textures/improving the engine would be a huge job and isn't something that is likely to happen.

PS. Svartalf posts should be pages in your first post. 110 posts isn't all that impressive.

Comment

How about the upcoming Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2?

Both are games that could make a difference, taking into account their following. They also contain OpenGL renderers for their MacOS port, which means a port could be relatively simple. (I also think one of the main contributors to SDL works for Blizzard, which may or may not be relevant here )

Comment

One of the games I had the most fun playing ever was a game called Crusader: No Remorse (a sequel is also available called Crusader: No Regrets). They were at the time created by Origin (as I remember this is an EA division so that already bodes badly) but I am unaware of the current ownership. It's a 1995 game though so anyone still carrying the source around might be hard to find. I will still happily pay to play that game again though (DOSbox might be my best option as I just found the CD again).

Additionally the classic Ground Control would be an amazing thing to revisit on my Linux desktop, I never played the sequel but I will take that one as well. A 2000 game originally by Massive Entertainment and distributed by Sierra. I would add this is the most innovative RTS game I have ever played, at the time it came out it blew away anything else. I dearly miss this one.

Outside of that there is a whole host of old Sierra adventure games I would love to see on Linux, I am a sucker for a good adventure game and they always made good ones.

If the old Fallout 1 and 2 games come through, sign me up for a copy now. These are by far the best RPG games every created for the PC, still not up to the standard of a pnp game but the world was so amazing.
        Last edited by DavidNielsen; 30 May 2009, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterIO View Post
          P.S. : One suggestion. I'd suggest that the ports should be distributed at least in the .deb and .rpm formats. The .bin distribution is a PITA. There are tools to ease the pain, but it's better to have the packages in a good format from the beginning.
          see this first: http://lunduke.com/?p=429

i, for one, don't really care about the distribution method as long as the game exists
          .bin/.run files are universal = better, imo

Comment

Hi everyone,

I thought it might be interesting to take a poll of the "Being looked into" list to see which titles are most popular. I've created a poll here:

It isn't the clearest page on account of the number of titles but it will suffice, I think.

Bob Ham

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              How about the upcoming Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2?

Both are games that could make a difference, taking into account their following. They also contain OpenGL renderers for their MacOS port, which means a port could be relatively simple. (I also think one of the main contributors to SDL works for Blizzard, which may or may not be relevant here )
              Please read the list in the first post as both D3 and Starcraft 2 are there.

Comment

Originally posted by rah_ View Post
                Hi everyone,

I thought it might be interesting to take a poll of the "Being looked into" list to see which titles are most popular. I've created a poll here:

It isn't the clearest page on account of the number of titles but it will suffice, I think.

Bob Ham
                It's not a question of what we want to have ported but what we are allowed to port.

Comment

I see you are considering Transport Giant II. What about Industry Giant II? Both are from same publisher (JoWood) and for the screenshots seem to use the same engine.

Other game I like is Hotel Giant II. Its an interesting game.

Keep the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                    It's not a question of what we want to have ported but what we are allowed to port.
                    This post doesn't make clear what "it" is. I'm curious as to which games in that list are more popular than others. A poll might also help to prioritise the efforts of seeking permission.

Comment

Actually shoot em ups and such are a lot for Linux. Linux lacks on RPG and adventure games.
                      Last edited by Apopas; 30 May 2009, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X