Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
    How about Natural Selection 2? It seems kind of similar to Tremulous with a commander mode like Savage.

It isn't released yet, but their FAQ says:
    Heh... If you look at the list on page 1...they're on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      its not going to come. I can pretty much assure you that. They have a "they will just use wine" mentality.
      How do you know this, L33F3R? I didn't see evidence of that, save from the Windows users mouthing off, over in their forum when I was over there a while back. Maybe I missed something in the Forums, but unless I've got proof from them, all your post amounts to is cynicism.

As for efforts... I've got the close on another one from the list (not the one of discussion) in progress right now. I hope to be in contact with them shortly to actually find out if there's a prospect there or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Heh... If you look at the list on page 1...they're on it.
        Oops, don't know how I missed that. Sorry!

Comment

How do you know this, L33F3R? I didn't see evidence of that, save from the Windows users mouthing off, over in their forum when I was over there a while back. Maybe I missed something in the Forums, but unless I've got proof from them, all your post amounts to is cynicism.
          you are partly correct. I just get a bad vibe when i read up the ranks. People who know whats going on, but dont really give a shit, when what we truly need is people to give a shit. Lets assume for a second that they do make it out the door, its going to be windows first. Nothing new on that front. Then the focus is on mac and linux respectively, ahh no. after 360 that is. After all it amounts to the next largest market doesn't it? Heck it would be alot easier to port in many respects. Then mac is next it seems.

But what rly tips the boat, is all the linux users who already paid for it. They are betting on a linux version of the game and in the meantime using wine. In the meantime using wine? Now a big chunk of the potential market has already paid for it.

Cynicism maybe, but its justified to an extent. Memories of UT3 dont help much either. As i recall they were going to port unrealED and stuff as well. This is just too similar to what happened with EPIC. Resulting action is me putting my best foot behind a brick wall. Svartalf if it was you behind it, the story would be different. Unfortunately nothing is in stone at this point, at least not to my knowledge.

Comment

• As i posted in the last wish list thread:

I think that the NS2 devs are quite open to a linux port. As imo is indicated in this post that i linked before:

Comment

As for efforts... I've got the close on another one from the list (not the one of discussion) in progress right now. I hope to be in contact with them shortly to actually find out if there's a prospect there or not.
              Cool! Keep us informed

Comment

• Why not msg blizzard and ask if you can make a port of World of Warcraft. There are so many of us playing and paying their game,

Comment

• Originally posted by joeelmex View Post
                  Why not msg blizzard and ask if you can make a port of World of Warcraft. There are so many of us playing and paying their game,
                  Heh... I wish... Let me get a few more wins under my belt and I might just try- but for now, they're kinda out of reach considering the publisher HAD an unofficial version for Linux that they axed.

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                    you are partly correct. I just get a bad vibe when i read up the ranks. People who know whats going on, but dont really give a shit, when what we truly need is people to give a shit. Lets assume for a second that they do make it out the door, its going to be windows first. Nothing new on that front. Then the focus is on mac and linux respectively, ahh no. after 360 that is. After all it amounts to the next largest market doesn't it? Heck it would be alot easier to port in many respects. Then mac is next it seems.
                    Don't fault them for what they think will work better for themselves- mainly because we're just an unknown. I got to talking with a different studio first because they were one of the IGF winners this year and it'd be a fairly easy deal to get a Linux version out with what I'd heard they'd done to get the game working overall. Plus it'd make a pretty decent Android/Maemo/Bada/Pandora/Angstrom game to sell as well once there was some tuning/optimization of the physics code done.

Right now, I've got a bit of dickering with them to do on my compensation for my efforts and a smidge of a change on one of their agreements and the deal will be done. Once I get the code in hand and produce some decent packaging for what they've done, I can actually talk with the NS2 team next- and they're the front-runner for the next deal I'll try to close since they're very amenable to it from what I understand, much like the studio I'm dealing with right now.

But what rly tips the boat, is all the linux users who already paid for it. They are betting on a linux version of the game and in the meantime using wine. In the meantime using wine? Now a big chunk of the potential market has already paid for it.
                    No... Only a PART of the potential market, part of the ones they knew would buy a Linux version have went WINE- you already said something in the forums, so have I... There's a GOOD reason I keep saying WINE's a band-aid and it hurts us as much as it helps. However, I think you're understating the potential market more than it really is... I understand the reason, I just don't think it's as bad as you think it is.

Cynicism maybe, but its justified to an extent. Memories of UT3 dont help much either. As i recall they were going to port unrealED and stuff as well. This is just too similar to what happened with EPIC. Resulting action is me putting my best foot behind a brick wall. Svartalf if it was you behind it, the story would be different. Unfortunately nothing is in stone at this point, at least not to my knowledge.
                    No, you're right there. Nothing is set in stone- yet. And it's going to be too similar "to what happened with EPIC" for words for a while yet to come- and yet it isn't if you play your cards right on things.

Believe me when I say the Indies are ALL looking at Linux now because of World of Goo and Caster3D... We showed them we're starving for games, there's a BUNCH of us (more than the Windows crowd in many cases, believe it or not...), and we're fiercely loyal right at the moment for ANYONE that does a Linux version of their game. I'm getting told this quite a bit of late, actually. They may not do one for bias reasons, or for lack of knowing anything about doing development for Linux, but they're all at least passingly giving it consideration.
                    Last edited by Svartalf; 14 December 2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• well few people know as much about this kind of stuff as you do . When you give us the thumbs up i will be 1 happy L33F3R. Until then its probably best to keep a conservative outlook with progressive thinking. A major factor comes into play, and thats that UW is an indie and EPIC, doesn't really need Linux. This day and age it would almost be stupid for an independent to ignore Linux as a potential market after recent successes as you state. Those fancy charts and slices of pie are working towards us.

Comment

Working...
                      X