No announcement yet.

Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen anyone suggest it, maybe its because this crowd may not be so much into this kind of game, but I would like to see the Harry Potter games ported to Linux.

Unfortunately, the Sixth game is to be released at the end of June, so I doubt it would be done in time unless you were working round the clock for 30 days straight... so meh. As we can see with the UT3 client, its unlikely it would get done that quickly, but still, I would love for the games to be available on Linux.

EDIT: Looking around for info on the Harry Potter games, I found out that the first two probably used a modified version of the first Unreal Engine. The third one probably used a modified version of Unreal Engine 2. I'm not sure what the rest of them used.
    Last edited by King InuYasha; 29 May 2009, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rettichschnidi View Post
      Maybe worth to look into: http://www.book-of-unwritten-tales.com/

The German version is already out and got good reviews (85%+) The game states to use the Ogre engine.
      It is worth checking into. The screenshots look good.

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
        I haven't seen anyone suggest it, maybe its because this crowd may not be so much into this kind of game, but I would like to see the Harry Potter games ported to Linux.

Unfortunately, the Sixth game is to be released at the end of June, so I doubt it would be done in time unless you were working round the clock for 30 days straight... so meh.

EDIT: Looking around for info on the Harry Potter games, I found out that the first two used the first Unreal Engine. The third one used Unreal Engine 2. I'm not sure what the rest of them used.
        Probably modified versions of the UE2 codebase. Let me think about where to place this set. I'm inclined to think "maybe", but we as an audience for them, aren't big enough in their estimation (wrong, I know, but...) to rate getting a deal like that. Getting ANY of those translates into a high 5, low 6-figure license deal for the IP access unless you can find someone to open doors for us on that one.

Comment

Are Eidos games a possibility?

Tomb Raider series (Eidos)
          Hitman series (Eidos)

Ballance (Atari, but looks indy-ish)

Old games now owned by EA might be a no-go, but maybe that's not true:

Dungeon Keeper series (Bullfrog, now EA)
          Dune series (Westwood, now EA)

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
            I won't mention "Beyond Good and Evil" by Ubisoft.
            Which is now on gog
            On the list as a "maybe". Any of the mainline publisher stuff's going to be a fun play in the medium term. Ubi's going to be no exception to that unless you can get your foot in the door there. We've already had a start of an inquiry with 2k that didn't propagate far. It wasn't a "no" but unless you're talking 5 figures or more for just rights access, depending on title, you're not getting anywhere fast- might change over time, but now's not that time.

But I will definitely mention(again) "The Longest Journey" and "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey"
            There was a thread stating that there are no plans for linux support, gladly it is so old that everyone should just ignore it.
            But even now and then there might be enough need and willingness to make linux port happen.
            Funcom's disinclined, still, to do things for us. If I can get a bit more traction on things with the looking into list, I'll revisit that decision because those games are nice ones all the same.

Comment

Out of all the Maybe's and being looked into games, I'm interested in these games:

• Freespace
              • Freespace 2 (I loved these games, esp in multiplayer)
              • Fallout
              • Fallout 2 (curious if this could be re done with a new 2D engine?)
              • Civilization IV
              • Alpha Centauri (Own both the windows and linux version. Would be awesome if a new engine could be used, possibly the civ4 engine?)
              • Sins of a Solar Empire (haven't played but looks interesting)
              • Soldat
              • Crysis (to prove to the world that "linux can do it.")
              • FlatOut 2 (have this game it's awesome)
              • Rome: Total War
              • Deus EX (already own this game, don't know what ever happened to it, maybe it could be ported using a newer 3D engine and higher detail textures?)

I notice Civ4 is in the maybe section as well as the being looked into section?

I had to put my 2c in because I'm sure you would want to know what the gamers / customers want?

Comment

I have two requests that have not been mentioned yet as far as I can see:

1. Darkfall Online - this is a MMO released by Aventurine, which is a Greek company who has said previously that while they are very open to the idea of a Linux port, they couldn't focus on it at this time. I actually really like this MMO, and a majority of the playerbase seems to be ex Ultima Online players and FPS players who have been looking for a MMO that isn't like the cookie cutter WoW types we've been getting lately. I currently run this game on Crossover with great success and I've become an advocate for the game on their site to help other with running this game on Linux.

Darkfall Unholy Wars - Official Website. Darkfall Unholy Wars is an intense full PvP MMORPG that combines real-time action and strategy in a fantasy setting.

Aventurine SA is a Greek independent video game developer and publisher officially founded in 2002. Aventurine are the developers of Darkfall Online, a massively multi-player online role-playing game (MMORG)...

2. X3 - Gold Edition (or X3: Terran Conflict) - Now this may be considered stepping on LGP's toes in some way but I'm not sure. I've purchased X3: Reunion from LGP and it is hands down the best Linux port I have ever played. I'd be playing this game regardless of what platform it is on, and it is made that much better because it has a Linux version. Now I see that Egosoft has a followup game called X3: Terran Conflict that has been released for a while as well as a complete package called X3: Gold Edition which contains all expansions and some additional content. I'd really like to have all this available on Linux for me to play, and seeing as a portion of this package has already been released on Linux may mean that this is a very real possibility.

Thanks for taking the time to look into all these games to see if they can be ported to Linux.

Comment

I'd have said Kotor and The Witcher, but I saw they're already on the list. What about The Godfather? That's a good title. And X3? Any of the Red Alert or Command and Conquer? Vampire The Masquerade : Redemption? Vampire The Masquerade : Bloodlines? Drakensang(when it'll be out)?

P.S. : One suggestion. I'd suggest that the ports should be distributed at least in the .deb and .rpm formats. The .bin distribution is a PITA. There are tools to ease the pain, but it's better to have the packages in a good format from the beginning.
                  Last edited by MisterIO; 30 May 2009, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Pro Evolution Soccer (PES)!
                    Soccer is not very popular in USA, but in Europe many users like me would simply erase their windows partition if they could play PES on Linux.
                    FIFA Soccer wouldn't be bad at all, either.

Europeans, South Americans and Asians just love Soccer, more than any other sport.

Comment

From the list above, I'm interested in the following games (read: Meaning to put the money up-front, and even participate in the beta program):

* IL-2 Sturmovik.
                      * Crysis. (Doubt that it'll ever going to happen, but never the less...)
                      * Civilization IV.
                      * Sins of the solar empire.
                      * Freespace II.

Out of the list, two additional options:
                      * Worms series.
                      * Ubisoft's Ghost recon series. (Older games should be relatively cheap to gain access to; Some of them were ported to MAC, so the code-base should be there...)
                      * Ubisoft's Rainbow Six series. (Same as above).
                      * Ubisoft's FarCry. (1 should be cheaper, shouldn't it?)
                      ... Oh, X3:TC is not in the list. Intended?

- Gilboa
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X