Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    This is rather odd choice, but has anyone considered that yet unreleased game 6 days in fallujah? The game was dropped by konami, and it's looking for a new publisher right now.

They might be interested.
    good find sir

Comment

• I have to be honest....
      Being of middle eastern origin, I can't say I'm thrilled to see that such a game has been made... I know my people take stupidity to a whole new level, the American media is eager to exploit any issue that pops up in the region, and Arabs are eager to kill each other based on any reason they can possibly come up with, but this doesn't really help the situation.

I guess the biggest question that can be asked about this game without blowing up into a political debate is: Is it neutral? Are there political messages and propoganda plastered in this game, or does it just portray the battle? And even then, would one play a massacre the other side game, or are both sides accessible?
      And before anyone brings it up: R6V, COD4 and GRAW are hypothetical situtions, everyone hates Nazi's, and I am against censorship.

Comment

• we in the west need to hold ourselves to a higher standard so i couldn't agree more.

I was going to rant about freedoms, censorship ect. but then i realized i was on phoronix XD.

Comment

• Originally posted by superppl View Post
          I have to be honest....
          Being of middle eastern origin, I can't say I'm thrilled to see that such a game has been made... I know my people take stupidity to a whole new level, the American media is eager to exploit any issue that pops up in the region, and Arabs are eager to kill each other based on any reason they can possibly come up with, but this doesn't really help the situation.

I guess the biggest question that can be asked about this game without blowing up into a political debate is: Is it neutral? Are there political messages and propoganda plastered in this game, or does it just portray the battle? And even then, would one play a massacre the other side game, or are both sides accessible?
          And before anyone brings it up: R6V, COD4 and GRAW are hypothetical situtions, everyone hates Nazi's, and I am against censorship.
          It's a problem. One of the reasons the game lacks funds is that Americas Army didn't like how they had not been portrayed as the good guys all the time in there so they ( the developers ) had to crawl back. This would mean the game is not too biased if they managed to piss of AA but I as a person hate war games or games related with war. Games are an interactive medium with the stress on "interactivity". War games have no interactivity except RTS games but that's more figure-out-AI-weakness-and-blatantly-abuse-it unless you play with a human but if you play with a human you can even turn a game of throwing rocks into a pond into an interactive game. So I'm all for different kinds of games. You can even do heavy politics in something like an Adventure or Puzzle oriented game and really focus on fleshing out the problems. Gun-Tooting is in the way of good games which push the game as media form.

Comment

• Yes, apparently this game wasn't biased at all towards the american side, so that's why it got so negativity. Im hoping someone picks it up, I read that it cost the developers Atomic Games $20 million to make and now it's just sitting there on a shelf. Maybe they'd be interested in working with LGP...

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
              Maybe they'd be interested in working with LGP...
              I don't think that they (Atomic) would be interested. I doubt LGP would be able to come up with sufficient funds for Atomic to even consider it. They have already soaked in 20 million into the development of it. From a pure business perspective LGP would have to start looking at somewhere in the 6 digit figures (at least) to attain the right to publish it when you have that much soaked into it's development. Even if LGP could rustle up the funds, they don't want to give any additional reason for large publishers to possibly turn them away. If they cannot find a publisher then their best chance to self publish it them selves. They have to think of return on investment and means publishing to the big platforms.

Comment

• Well, they arent a big developer, why would they charge that much for publishing rights? Im being honest, I dont know much about these publishing/rights business.

Comment

• To be honest, I could see them doing it for Linux, they are in dire straights right now, and need every bit of cash they can get.

If its successful on Linux, maybe a big publisher can pick it up for Windows/Mac

Comment

• Originally posted by TotallyEpic View Post
                    To be honest, I could see them doing it for Linux, they are in dire straights right now, and need every bit of cash they can get.

If its successful on Linux, maybe a big publisher can pick it up for Windows/Mac
                    When you have 20 million invested in development the small amount of capitol return they would get by letting LGP publish it isn't going to make much difference. They would probably make more selling their debt for write off purposes then publishing to linux.

Comment

• Steam can open up the doors for future games (or current) to be ported to Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X