No announcement yet.

Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem is somewhere else: getting the port deal in the first place. You won't get AAA deals as this requires lots of money so you need to port what you can get your hands on and these are most of the time not the current titles. So point 1 and 2 are out of question since 3 takes it all.

In general the problem is that companies want to know they get a ROI for a title. With Linux they don't have this yet so no interest in porting deals. What they try to do is showing that there is sense in porting to Linux so they have to mount the horse from the back side.

Comment

• Originally posted by avaughan View Post
      Nor is it realistic to expect people to hold off purchasing something they want to play, and wait indefinitely for a Linux version (especially in cases where a Linux version hasn't even been announced).
      Well, if it has not been announced is a different matter and the gamer does good to buy the windows version, but if it is official that the game is going to be ported to Linux then what is the harm to just wait a few weeks more? For example as Svaltaf noted before, the Q3Arena sold just 200 Linux copies because people couldn't wait few days more and jumped to buy the windows version and patched it later with the Linux binaries. That attitude which does'not help at all the companies and guys who try to make Linux a viable gaming OS could change if people had more patience.They are games after all, not a program which someone needs for his job.

I dual-boot Linux + Windows purely to be able to play Windows games, and I suspect that many Linux users who also play commercial games dual-boot. If given a choice between purchasing a Linux version and a Windows version, then all other factors being equal I will take the Linux version. (I will even pay few extra dollars for a native Linux version).
      Dual boot isn't a solution for the most of people. It is not practical at all. Just to give a simple example lets say I install windows as well as a second OS just to play games. All this time I play games normally I will have torrents to be downloaded. What, if the torrents are not finished when I have finished the game I will have to stop them reboot to Linux and then load them there? Or I will just surf around till they finish and then reboot to Linux? And if I was chating during all this time I will say wait to reboot and will speak again in 5 minutes? And when I am to Linux doing a lot of stuff and want to play a agem I have to reboot again ets etc? Isn't practical... Normally the people need one OS to do all of their job. If you dual boot all the time then isn't helpful to have Linux/window$ at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Well, if it has not been announced is a different matter and the gamer does good to buy the windows version, but if it is official that the game is going to be ported to Linux then what is the harm to just wait a few weeks more? For example as Svaltaf noted before, the Q3Arena sold just 200 Linux copies because people couldn't wait few days more and jumped to buy the windows version and patched it later with the Linux binaries. That attitude which does'not help at all the companies and guys who try to make Linux a viable gaming OS could change if people had more patience.They are games after all, not a program which someone needs for his job.
        Trying to educate your customers is futile. You either have to ship it at the same time, or you have to find out afterwards how many play the game on Linux. "Counting as a Windows sale" is an implicit: "Our statistics are bullshit".

Comment

• It'd be nice if some skilled coders would contribute to 0 A.D.
          Right now they have a massive lack of coders and so the release got pushed back a low single digit of years...
          A demonstrative screenshot displaying the updated environmental assets for the savanna biome, from the March 2009 news update.

If it'd release this year or early next year, then it'd beat any commercial strategy game, graphics wise and probably also gameplay wise since they seem to have taken good care of that.

Comment

• Episodic gaming (read: Telltale) seems like a great plan now- it seems like most of the work would be in porting the first episode, and then it would be (hopefully) easy to handle the rest, since there wouldn't be too much change in non-content areas.

You might even be able to get pretty close to the Windows launch date.

Comment

• Not always the case. HL2 ( which somehow is a prime example of episodic content ) changed the engine with each iteration. Porting the first engine version would not work on the follow ups ( depends on the code change but if entire mod projects totally break I expect it's not a minor change :P )

Comment

• Originally posted by Remco View Post
                Trying to educate your customers is futile.
                couldn't agree more

Just get a job where you have to actually interact with the customer, eg. fast food or retail - you will quickly find the customer is a complete and total idiot. I have seen some people so stupid its a wonder they got on the right bus . Its not that people can't learn, people are not willing to.

If everyone was to read phoronix daily they would know to wait for a linux version. Sadly enough people receive their education from 4chan....

------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Dreamcatcher
                FEATURES

* Can be installed even on older systems.
                * You choose from a variety of characters. Each character has their own strengths and weaknesses
                * Anything that can be picked up can also be destroyed. You can tactically destroy items before opponents can get to them, or just blow them up when your opponents are near.
                * Each level uses very large maps with lots of ladders and basements to explore.
                * Ammo is constantly running out, so strategy plays a big part in the game.
                * Stamina plays a role in Gore - You tire out and so do your opponents.

REQUIREMENTS

* Microsoft? 95/98/2000/NT4/ME/XP
                * Pentium II 350 MHz
                * 64 MB RAM
                * 700 MB Free Hard Drive Space
                * 4X CD-ROM Drive
                * 100% OpenGL Compatible Video Card
                * Windows Compatible Sound Card
                could be a hard sell because its kind of 90% free.
                Last edited by L33F3R; 15 June 2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  Dual boot isn't a solution for the most of people. It is not practical at all. Just to give a simple example lets say I install windows as well as a second OS just to play games. All this time I play games normally I will have torrents to be downloaded. What, if the torrents are not finished when I have finished the game I will have to stop them reboot to Linux and then load them there? Or I will just surf around till they finish and then reboot to Linux? And if I was chating during all this time I will say wait to reboot and will speak again in 5 minutes? And when I am to Linux doing a lot of stuff and want to play a agem I have to reboot again ets etc? Isn't practical... Normally the people need one OS to do all of their job. If you dual boot all the time then isn't helpful to have Linux/window$ at all.
                  No offense but if the issue is that big then you should use the OS that supports it all. In this case that would be Windows. If you actually needed something in linux could use many of the vm solutions out there and run your linux apps in there. As far as torrenting goes, that's a pretty easy solution as well. Save to a volume that both OS's can write too and use a multiplatform client such as ktorrent or azureus or deluge, etc and save the torrent files to the same directory. Alternatively use a NAS solution and use it's torrent client. Most nowdays are linux based and modding them isn't a big issue. Personally I use apps that are crossplatform and switching from one OS to another is not a pain at all, my FF bookmarks and such carry over, torrents keep downloading, if a "linux only" app is really needed for a certian task then I fire up a VM utilizing the same /home folder as the native install and work away. There are plenty of solutions out there, you just have to be willing to set it up to minimize the need for frequent dual booting. Developers have been pulling this off for years and with the price of multicore processors out there isn't much excuse.

Comment

• Dual booting sucks though. I only have a windows partition around for porting stuff and cross-development. I would never want to develop in windows if I can avoid it. Toolchain sucks major balls and developing under windows is a hell of pain. No powerful consoles, crappy IDEs ( or overpriced ) and debugging is like poking yourself with needles in the eyes. At last with Subversion and SCons compiling stuff you have to test on windows is relatively painless...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                      Dual booting sucks though. I only have a windows partition around for porting stuff and cross-development. I would never want to develop in windows if I can avoid it. Toolchain sucks major balls and developing under windows is a hell of pain. No powerful consoles, crappy IDEs ( or overpriced ) and debugging is like poking yourself with needles in the eyes. At last with Subversion and SCons compiling stuff you have to test on windows is relatively painless...
                      Again something that a vm running linux can easily handle.

Comment

Working...
                      X