Steam Deck Controller Interface Seeing Initial Support With Linux 6.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Deck Controller Interface Seeing Initial Support With Linux 6.3

Phoronix: Steam Deck Controller Interface Seeing Initial Support With Linux 6.3

With the upcoming Linux 6.3 cycle there is finally support for the Steam Deck being added to the Steam HID driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Good to see that you've found a nice spot on your beer-glass shelf for the Steam Deck to collect some dust on!

Meanwhile other outlets are raking in the ad-money thanks to the Deck's popularity even among Windows & console gamers.

Come to think of it, that's both funny & sad at the same time, which is a rare feat to accomplish, so at least congrats for that, I guess...

Comment

Another HID driver, why can't it be done in userspace + eBPF?
      It would enable valve to ship the feature faster with less code in kernel (and less CVE).

What is preventing this from happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        Michael

Good to see that you've found a nice spot on your beer-glass shelf for the Steam Deck to collect some dust on!

Meanwhile other outlets are raking in the ad-money thanks to the Deck's popularity even among Windows & console gamers.

Come to think of it, that's both funny & sad at the same time, which is a rare feat to accomplish, so at least congrats for that, I guess...
        I'm trying to understand this comment, but it's beyond me. It seems to express some anger/disappointment at Michael, but I can't figure out why. Is it saying that Phoronix doesn't print enough Steam Deck stories? If so, why not just say, "Michael, I would like it if you would write more Steam Deck stories"?

Comment

I'm looking forward to this, Even if I have to enable it manually. Arch Gnu/Linux is nice and all, but I prefer Debian based Distros. And the main sticking point for that is not wanting to have to source a keyboard and mouse if I'm in bed.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
            It would enable valve to ship the feature faster with less code in kernel (and less CVE).

They ship their own distro with their own kernel with their own driver already.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

They ship their own distro with their own kernel with their own driver already.
              I know, but a userspace implementation + eBPF is always easier to implement, test and ship.

Comment

I know, but a userspace implementation + eBPF is always easier to implement, test and ship.
                If its that easy, just do it. No one will stop you.

Comment

How would you use eBPF here? What kind of BPF program type would you use, and where would you hook?

Comment

Previously, the only way to control the steam deck without logging in to steam or without attaching devices was via the touch screen.
                    A virtual keyboard program would have to be installed and anything not usable by touch screen was out of luck.
                    Can anyone confirm, that what this means is that the controller or at least touchpads will now work without the presence of steam?

Comment

Working...
                    X