Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post

Fedora is a meme outside of Reddit.
    I think you're confusing Fedora with Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post

Fedora is a meme outside of Reddit.

Normal users use something Ubuntu-based, NEETs use something Arch-based. Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian, OpenMandriva, Slackware, and all the rest are all niche systems on the desktop.
      Pretty sure fedora grabs more attention in this forum more than any other distros

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

Or offline as there isn't a SIM card and a always on internet connection.
        I use mine mostly on public transport and it can be days to a week before it gets a internet connection via WLAN or the docking station.

This would also mean that the 22% are not all of the 1 million steam decks.
        I also wonder if the PC distro Valve suoplies comes under the same heading as Deck/SteamOS.

It's likely barely fraction of a %, but it's still a point.

And Im twmpted to ise it with an older PC and controller, as a laimcher for all games with WINE/Lutris etc, as the overlays and other tools made it a lot simpler to manage.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

You could just use Debian (unstable/sid as a quasi-rolling release), you know. No snap, much more stable, also up-to-date.

Is Canonical/Ubuntu just downstreaming Debian's packaged Steam package or do they actually add something of value rather than leeching and re-labeling other's work?
          Suggesting to use Debian unstable while at the same time calling it much more stable than Ubuntu, an OS actually being used in enterprises around the world...

Just brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Suggesting to use Debian unstable while at the same time calling it much more stable than Ubuntu, an OS actually being used in enterprises around the world...

Just brilliant!
            a) the naming "unstable" is probably not the wisest one as by-passers just read the label and come to wrong conclusions
            b) what by Debian standards is "unstable" would be "stable" for other distributions.
            c) *Ubuntu in fact is based upon Debian unstable* and just adds cruft like snaps and other Canonicalisms

Read this: https://linuxstans.com/debian-vs-ubuntu/

Comment

I've been using steam on tumbleweed recently (repo package). Have encountered 0 problems so far; mangohud (repo), gamescope (obs) all work great

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724

Fedora is less appealing to me as of lately, particularly with dealing with version mismatches with Mesa and the freeworld hw-accel packages from RPM Fusion. I've seen twice where Mesa got an update on Fedora but was held back because of RPM Fusion not having the updates; relatively minor, but I don't want to put up with this and I'm not the biggest fan of 3rd-party repos to begin with. Was tempted to give openSUSE another go but I've heard it's a worse situation with Packman (not sure on specifics or if this is really true?)

I stopped using Ubuntu because of some packages being outdated years ago, but not having to deal with 3rd-party repos for media playback is a way better deal as of lately
                I agree. Foundationally Fedora is just much better, but I agree that the RPMFusion situation is not the best. I've suffered from this myself too. I just wait until they get synced again and their versions match. It's a minor issue at the end of the day, but something that gives it an underserved bad image that I don't like either.

Still, having up to date packages is a blessing, and DNF is simply much more powerful than apt (though slower too).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                  Interesting that Steam Flatpak keeps gaining popularity. I wonder if it's because it works better than repository versions of Steam. For example, I'm on Fedora and I'd say it actually works better for me than the RPMFusion version. With RPMFusion version of Steam I experienced some issues like ui content taking forever to load, randomly losing connection in the download page or randomly not launching at all. Steam Flatpak has none of these issues.
                  I never had any of the issues you mentioned, but I've heard of sobre problems with proton on the flatpak release

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
                    still waiting for the steam deck to land on store shelves here. not exactly surprising to see no change in the stats when they are basically impossible to buy still.
                    It really depends on where you live, the biggest gaming markets (apart from China) are already covered. I ordered my Deck on Steam and they delivered it 4 days later (I live in the EU).

Comment

still waiting for the steam deck to land on store shelves here.
                      Not gonna happen from Valve. For Example look at the Index.

not exactly surprising to see no change in the stats when they are basically impossible to buy still.
                      You can order one without a problem. Your only issue is that they may not deliver it to you directly but you could use reshipping services. In the SteamDeck Reddit are multiple Users that did that without any problems. From China, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Iran or Iraq (don't remember), Swiss and Brazil.
                      There is not even a Region Lock, you can create a new account or change the store region to one where they deliver them and order one.

Comment

Working...
                      X