Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org vs. Wayland Linux Gaming Performance For NVIDIA GeForce + AMD Radeon In Early 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by qarium View Post
    my friend i used wine directX 9-11 to OpenGL conversion many years before proton/DXVK popped up and the performance drop by doing so is very high .... Proton/DXVK you lose maybe 6-7% performance but on DX to OpenGL vonversion you lose 50-60% performance
    this is to high for these old hardware.
    just remember it was just an example this card i will give it away for people who use windows. for this old hardware windows performs much better.

I just made an example about how linux is not competive in this GPU space.

https://www.supergoodcode.com/the-fi...er-a-zink-blog

The performance cost does not need to be that high. amd HD6860 using galluim nine you are do get performance in the DXVK cost range. Steam with proton does not provide option to straight up use galluim nine. Yes PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1​ has to be set then work out how to customize proton to have a galluim nine version.

Originally posted by qarium View Post
    again directX to OpenGL is not an option because you lose 50-60% performance and on vulkan/DXVK you only lose 6-7% performance.
    and yes it is all a Usability hell and who cause this does not matter at all a steam client userfriendly problem or whatever the result is that linux is a usability nightmare and not competive compared to windows.
    and use old DXVK for older hardware even if possible is still a Usability hell and really not the way to go for the people.

if you want any kind of usability you end up buy new gpu card... thats the status we have right now.

and the people who do all the stuff you say are the absolut minority...
    Yes you are right only a minority do what I said. The minority who do what I said know where the problem is.

There are 5 backend with wine for direct X. WINED3D opengl, WINED3D Vulkan, DXVK new, DXVK old and galluim Nine. Proton by current design only gives you one without major hoop jumping.

​you are absolutly right its a steam/gui problem valve should make these options visible in the guy to choose dx to openGL or older DXVK for older hardware or write a autodetect mechanism.

and i am in the sam boot as you for "verval assault cursing them" i want linux to win the battle agaist microsoft but with this status we will not win this.

is very easy to detect why valve dont do this: "Or valve could decide to fund vulkan layer developers." because the steam deck is RDNA2 and don't have this problem. right now they only care about RDNA2 or newer... and even vega or RDNA1 users are out of the luck right now.

problem is valve has no big reason to fix the "Valve horrible steam interface" problem outside of the steam deck ...
    Part of the reason why Valve has no real reason to fix it is most are like you and think it a Linux problem. Not being aware that it really a Valve Steam Interface problem and proton lack of options problem.

Yes the layers to port back new Vulkan extentions to old cards would be nice. But fall back option to galluim nine that has less overhead doing direct x than direct x to opengl would also be nice for older cards with open source drivers.

qarium lot more should work than does when using steam these days. 50-60% performance lose with opengl backend is still better than not run at all. Think about if game runs and performs badly person might do some searches how to improve performance and find galluim nine. Remember you were thinking your self the games do not work so got a new card not the games work but perform badly. Perform badly higher chance you will look for the performance fix. Level of GUI being broken. Steam resulting in game not running at all is way worse on the broken scale than poor performing. So in my eyes dxvk cannot work should at least fail though to wined3d opengl. Then there is a chance user finds way out.

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      https://www.supergoodcode.com/the-fi...er-a-zink-blog
      The performance cost does not need to be that high. amd HD6860 using galluim nine you are do get performance in the DXVK cost range. Steam with proton does not provide option to straight up use galluim nine. Yes PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1​ has to be set then work out how to customize proton to have a galluim nine version.
      Yes you are right only a minority do what I said. The minority who do what I said know where the problem is.
      There are 5 backend with wine for direct X. WINED3D opengl, WINED3D Vulkan, DXVK new, DXVK old and galluim Nine. Proton by current design only gives you one without major hoop jumping.
      Part of the reason why Valve has no real reason to fix it is most are like you and think it a Linux problem. Not being aware that it really a Valve Steam Interface problem and proton lack of options problem.
      Yes the layers to port back new Vulkan extentions to old cards would be nice. But fall back option to galluim nine that has less overhead doing direct x than direct x to opengl would also be nice for older cards with open source drivers.
      qarium lot more should work than does when using steam these days. 50-60% performance lose with opengl backend is still better than not run at all. Think about if game runs and performs badly person might do some searches how to improve performance and find galluim nine. Remember you were thinking your self the games do not work so got a new card not the games work but perform badly. Perform badly higher chance you will look for the performance fix. Level of GUI being broken. Steam resulting in game not running at all is way worse on the broken scale than poor performing. So in my eyes dxvk cannot work should at least fail though to wined3d opengl. Then there is a chance user finds way out.
      i fully agree.

but i am not a manager at valve to tell some developer to fix their steam store gui...

and i am honest to you i can not recommend your hacker way of thinking to people because most people i know who need help are not able to do as you recommend. thats all above what they can do with their skills.

i can only hope this problem goes away over time by either valve fix their store or else by people buy new hardware.

but it is bad taste to anyone who tests linux and then goes back to windows because they do not have this problems in windows.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post
        but i am not a manager at valve to tell some developer to fix their steam store gui...
        I don't have a steam account and effected GPU to open a ticket as effected user with valve.. I still have stacks of open source games I have not got as far as I would like to in as yet. You may have the bits to open a issue with Valve that could get the problem in front of manager.

and i am honest to you i can not recommend your hacker way of thinking to people because most people i know who need help are not able to do as you recommend. thats all above what they can do with their skills.
        My knowledge has me known what is possible. wined3d vulkan will take over from dxvk old at some point. Wine core developers that do wined3d with opengl and vulkan going forwards they are not going to be breaking legacy hardware support. wined3d will take a performance hit to keep legacy support. Yes steam being so hard to enable wined3d then not able to enable wined3d vulkan back end simply another issue.

Galluim nine is for the prevulkan cards with open source drivers to get decent performance. This cards are also not vendor supported so it now manage to collect up third party developers to pick up the slack somehow with galluim nine.

The cards that don't have vulkan support lot of those are starting to run into expired thermal paste/pads no longer being as terminal conductive as they should be and this is another fairly skilled thing to fix.

i can only hope this problem goes away over time by either valve fix their store or else by people buy new hardware.
        but it is bad taste to anyone who tests linux and then goes back to windows because they do not have this problems in windows.
        https://lutris.net/games/steam/ There are reasons why Lutris exists and people install Windows version of Steam in wine on some systems. Can be less painful doing this than using Linux version of steam with older hardware configurations.

Big problem here is users think this behavior is Linux limitation. When this is more how proton or wine is configured and how it requires manual configuration on older hardware at times.

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
          I don't have a steam account and effected GPU to open a ticket as effected user with valve.. I still have stacks of open source games I have not got as far as I would like to in as yet. You may have the bits to open a issue with Valve that could get the problem in front of manager.
          My knowledge has me known what is possible. wined3d vulkan will take over from dxvk old at some point. Wine core developers that do wined3d with opengl and vulkan going forwards they are not going to be breaking legacy hardware support. wined3d will take a performance hit to keep legacy support. Yes steam being so hard to enable wined3d then not able to enable wined3d vulkan back end simply another issue.
          Galluim nine is for the prevulkan cards with open source drivers to get decent performance. This cards are also not vendor supported so it now manage to collect up third party developers to pick up the slack somehow with galluim nine.
          The cards that don't have vulkan support lot of those are starting to run into expired thermal paste/pads no longer being as terminal conductive as they should be and this is another fairly skilled thing to fix.
          https://lutris.net/games/steam/ There are reasons why Lutris exists and people install Windows version of Steam in wine on some systems. Can be less painful doing this than using Linux version of steam with older hardware configurations.
          Big problem here is users think this behavior is Linux limitation. When this is more how proton or wine is configured and how it requires manual configuration on older hardware at times.
          I appreciate your knowledge and your skills.​ thank you.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
          X