Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 8.1 Picks Up Vulkan HDR Extension For Helping With Valve's HDR Gaming Enablement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.1 Picks Up Vulkan HDR Extension For Helping With Valve's HDR Gaming Enablement

Phoronix: Wine 8.1 Picks Up Vulkan HDR Extension For Helping With Valve's HDR Gaming Enablement

Now that Wine 8.0 shipped earlier this week, the Wine Git tree is back to accepting new feature patches after it was under a feature freeze since early December. With nearly two months worth of feature work to land, it's been a busy week landing new code for what in turn will be found in the Wine 8.1 bi-weekly development release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please make an Adwaita theme for Wine!

Why do you use Wine? For what do you use it for?
    What do you miss in Wine? What is lacking?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Why not make any GTK theme work in Windows GDI?

Comment

Awesome.

JoshuaAshton, where is the appropriate place to file bug reports, send logs, and whatnot for HDR on Linux? I seem to be one of the few people on Phoronix with a working HDR gaming setup.

In Callisto Protocol it tells me to enable HDR in the Windows settings to enable HDR in-game. It seems like Wine/Proton might need to broadcast the same thing that setting does so some programs can enable HDR.

Anecdotally, adding --rt to Gamescope seemed to fix a lot of the stuttering on FFVII that HDR introduced. I tried it with and without the wide gamut option it's too bright with wide. Granted, I'm using a $250 Black Friday Special 4K TV to do this on. It doesn't have the best HDR to begin with, but it does look nice once calibrated.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Why do you use Wine? For what do you use it for?
          What do you miss in Wine? What is lacking?
          I use wine for music production. wine + yabridge allows me to run Windows VSTs (plugins) within a DAW (like Ardour or Bitwig).

What is lacking:
          1) the ability to mount iso images - without it, the Native Instruments Kontakt installer fails. It first downloads iso images which it then wants to mount so it can install its contents
          2) proper Vulkan child window support - see initial patches at https://github.com/Frogging-Family/w...sc/childwindow Without it you get a black screen when you open a VST plugin which uses Vulkan child windows
          3) pkcs#12 implementation so the iZotope Ozone installer works

Comment

has anyone got HDR games working with new proton or eggroll yet?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Awesome.

JoshuaAshton, where is the appropriate place to file bug reports, send logs, and whatnot for HDR on Linux? I seem to be one of the few people on Phoronix with a working HDR gaming setup.

In Callisto Protocol it tells me to enable HDR in the Windows settings to enable HDR in-game. It seems like Wine/Proton might need to broadcast the same thing that setting does so some programs can enable HDR.

Anecdotally, adding --rt to Gamescope seemed to fix a lot of the stuttering on FFVII that HDR introduced. I tried it with and without the wide gamut option it's too bright with wide. Granted, I'm using a $250 Black Friday Special 4K TV to do this on. It doesn't have the best HDR to begin with, but it does look nice once calibrated.
              There is likely no bug. You just need to specify DXVK_HDR and make sure you are on Proton Experimental Bleeding Edge and latest Mesa Git.

As for where to report bugs, the Gamescope issue tracker is fine.

Comment

Great to see all this work to support HDR in games.
                I hope after this works for games, it will quickly extend to video players for movies too.

Comment

I wonder, is there any performance benefits for game developers to write (or port) their games to SteamOS 3?

I know, its plain linux, but given the increasing userbase thanks to the SteamDeck and other factors, I think that its still a valid question.

Comment

Wine was always shit, will always going to be shit.
                    Instead go with a separate windows pc cost nothing these days and a fine bottle of wine

Comment

Working...
                    X