Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa's Radeon Vulkan Driver Now Advertises Support For Quake II RTX & DOOM Eternal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Radeon Vulkan Driver Now Advertises Support For Quake II RTX & DOOM Eternal

Phoronix: Mesa's Radeon Vulkan Driver Now Advertises Support For Quake II RTX & DOOM Eternal

Mesa's Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" has been working with the Quake II RTX and DOOM Eternal games for a while now and recently the performance has also picked up nicely as shown in recent benchmarks. But for the Vulkan ray-tracing extensions to be exposed has required setting the RADV_PERFTEST=rt environment variable, but that has now changed initially for those two games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice. It’ll be interesting to see if the Steam Deck will support this. I hope it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
      Very nice. It’ll be interesting to see if the Steam Deck will support this. I hope it would.
      The Steam Deck is RDNA2 and uses RADV, I don't see why it wouldn't work. That being said, performance is not expected to be great on a low-wattage chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
        Quake RTX actually ran at 30-40 fps at around 360p when I tried with the latest Mesa. Not bad for a low power chip.
        Last edited by fong38; 01 January 2023, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Doom Eternal ray tracing works very well too.

Attached: 1 image Finally! I managed to get DOOM Eternal's #raytracing reflections working in my RADV branch! 🎉 🎉 🎉 I'm honestly surprised by how well it runs on my #SteamDeck. Even with native res and resolution scaling turned to "off" in the settings, the Deck manages to stay in the 40-50FPS range most of the time!

Work is in mesa git, post is a bit old so it still mentions a seperate branch.

Comment

Well seeing that they got Doom Eternals raytraced reflections working on radv... 2023 will be a nice year for the Deck.

Comment

Working...
            X