No announcement yet.

Ryan Gordon On Linux UT3: "still on its way"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, we can all agree on that taunt "eff you" in UT3 feels pretty weak compared to the taunts in UT2k4. Just a minor detail maybe, but it annoys the fsck out of me.

Comment

How obsolete is UT3?

Someone please enlighten me a bit, as I'm totally not into 3D gaming:

It seems to me that major new games of the FPS variety come out 4 or 5 times a year, but I wouldn't know. So I ask:

* what major games have come out since UT3?
      * which of those run natively in linux?
      * which of those run acceptably in wine?

I just have the impression that by the time UT3 for linux does come out, they shouldn't have bothered because nobody plays it anymore, and much better games have come out, with nicer graphics.

If I'm wrong, please tell me.

Comment

Uh, Uh, lem'me awnser that.
        Originally posted by perpetualrabbit View Post
        * what major games have come out since UT3?
        * which of those run natively in linux?
        * which of those run acceptably in wine?
        1. A whole lot.
        2. None.
        3. Few. Pretty much none when you're using an ATi-Card.

_If_ UT3 for Linux should somewhen make it, it's still gonna be the best looking game available for Linux, and probably will be for quite some time. A game based on Unigine might have around the same level of "bling", but tbh from what I've seen so far more likely a bit less. So there's probably no rival for UT3 (graphics-wise) on Linux till (if) Rage and it's Linux-client get released.

Comment

Well castor3d is for Win, Linux, Mac even iphone, also Prey Linux binary was released, also a very cheap game, but very cool...

Comment

It's like a decade and 3D on Linux is still a place where no one gives a serious fsck about. This is life, get over it.

When will linux have a serious Racing Game? A well made (including graphics!) RTS, a reasonably well FPS like FarCry 1, which was released 5 years ago?

The technology is there. PS3 is using OpenGL and it has all the good titles on it. It's just no one gives a flying fsck about Linux gaming because there is no market for it.

Linux users should all stop dreaming with it and go do serious works or get whatever else that can play games on.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
              It's like a decade and 3D on Linux is still a place where no one gives a serious fsck about. This is life, get over it.

When will linux have a serious Racing Game? A well made (including graphics!) RTS, a reasonably well FPS like FarCry 1, which was released 5 years ago?

The technology is there. PS3 is using OpenGL and it has all the good titles on it. It's just no one gives a flying fsck about Linux gaming because there is no market for it.

Linux users should all stop dreaming with it and go do serious works or get whatever else that can play games on.
              Probably when the "Year of Linux on the Desktop" actually arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by azraelthe7th View Post
                Hopefully, the Unigine game project will be something that helps game developers wake up and smell the Linux.

I've bought the Penny Arcade game, and still hope to see more games released for Linux, but a game with a tremendous graphical quality and good playability on Linux could help getting others to make games with cross compatibility in mind.
                Always surprised no one mentions this native upcoming Linux game very much:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The Penumbra series was pretty interesting with it's different slant on controls, I'll say that much. Definitely a lot of genres missing from Linux gaming though, it's mostly all FPS, so it's good to see something different now and then. Getting tired of FPS. Happy to have seen World of Goo and Penny Arcade to mix things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                  Always surprised no one mentions this native upcoming Linux game very much:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The Penumbra series was pretty interesting with it's different slant on controls, I'll say that much. Definitely a lot of genres missing from Linux gaming though, it's mostly all FPS, so it's good to see something different now and then. Getting tired of FPS. Happy to have seen World of Goo and Penny Arcade to mix things up.
                  But those are too casual games, made by small studios, where are the AAA RTS, RPGs, racing, fighting games for linux??

Comment

as we can see. still in the package.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      But those are too casual games, made by small studios, where are the AAA RTS, RPGs, racing, fighting games for linux??
                      Patience, it's probably a good idea to hook the small, indie studios at first. Hopefully when/if they get larger they won't forget who used to buy their games

Comment

Working...
                      X