No announcement yet.

Ryan Gordon On Linux UT3: "still on its way"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

physics play a big role but dont expect the source to come up as alot of the code needed to make games for PS3,360 ect, is only given to licensed programmers.

need cough.... live for speed? this is the kind of name only china could come up with. The game is lacking and the $20 for tracks and some cars kinda turns me off.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      physics play a big role but dont expect the source to come up as alot of the code needed to make games for PS3,360 ect, is only given to licensed programmers.
      I know. This was a joke ! I don't even imagine Sony giving away the source code of what made them sold millions of Playstations...

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        I know. This was a joke ! I don't even imagine Sony giving away the source code of what made them sold millions of Playstations...
        lol i hoped it was

Comment

Vdrift seems to be somewhat niceish and is definitely trying to be GT-ish and try for that same realism, but haven't played it in a long time since they don't release binary packages for Linux other than an old 2006 Zero Install package that someone made, and I don't feel like compiling it just because of Linux packaging stupidity, tho I may at some point just to see where it is now. But you're right, Torcs has decentish physics simulation sorta. Any way, I enjoyed the progression in GT as well, starting off in slow cars, working your way up, and improving your skills via the license tests, made for a pretty fun experience.

Realism is nice yes, but I also liked arcade titles like Burnout too.

Comment

I'm not intro racing games.
            Well, I'd eighter take some game like "Thunder Brigade" or something hardcore arcade, Mario Kart like game.

Comment

Me neither... not fun of shooters or racers in general. Some more adventure stuff would be nice... especially stuff you need your brain for an instance.

Comment

I still thinks that Linux needs definitely an exclusive blockbuster title.
                I say "exclusive".
                This for two reasons : the first is to attract more users with that exclusive blockbuster.
                The second reason is for returning the rules : for once, windows gamers would create online petitions to request a native windows client !!!

But, after all, is imagining linux covering 50% of market would be so cool. I guess many editors would then give binary drivers, binary programs, binary everything. With binary blobs everywhere, would the linux experience be still the same as it is today ???

Comment

Originally posted by MAXX View Post
                  I'm not intro racing games.
                  Well, I'd eighter take some game like "Thunder Brigade" or something hardcore arcade, Mario Kart like game.

checkout supertuxkart.sourceforge.net

they're working on making it a pretty great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                    I still thinks that Linux needs definitely an exclusive blockbuster title.
                    I say "exclusive".
                    This for two reasons : the first is to attract more users with that exclusive blockbuster.
                    The second reason is for returning the rules : for once, windows gamers would create online petitions to request a native windows client !!!

But, after all, is imagining linux covering 50% of market would be so cool. I guess many editors would then give binary drivers, binary programs, binary everything. With binary blobs everywhere, would the linux experience be still the same as it is today ???
                    I think exclusive anything is pretty annoying/stupid, being locked in to a particular platform is nothing to celebrate, it's directly anti-competitive and takes away your freedom, but unfortunately a sadly accepted practice. Nonetheless, yes, you would get more Linux users by having an exclusive title than one shared with other platforms, but just having a Linux version helps too of course. Linux just needs more "big" titles for it, I'd be happy with that much, whether closed or open source, both would help Linux adoption of course.

As for the binary software comment, once again...what you're running right now ARE binaries. Things have to be binary before you can run them, so binaries are pretty damn good and pretty damn important! You mean the *license* being *closed source*. By the "experience" being different I assume you mean better or worse, and the answer is the more software for Linux, the higher the adoption, and that will directly effect you and make your experience better as you will have more choice, and more software will be created for Linux because Linux will be bigger.

As Microsoft says, once you reach "critical mass", it just grows itself without help. It's the catch-22 in reverse, and it's what Linux is up against with Windows. Because Windows is big, it stays big, but fortunately Linux's licenses or simply its openness has saved it.

Linux is where it is because the software doesn't have a *life cycle*. Closed source software is released, lives for a while, then becomes less and less useful, destined to never improve at all. It gets forgotten, shelved, or deleted. Open source, though, can evolve due to having access to the source, and as such its "controls" (source) can never be removed from the world like closed source does.

So, to answer the question, closed source software is fine and all, it's "instant gratification" in a sense, and that will help Linux to have that as an option for those who want to pay for it. However, in the long run, having the best open source software ecosystem as a whole live on and continue to evolve is the ultimate long-term solution. Closed source might always be around, there's always someone who'd like to charge for what is basically like artwork or a story or whatnot, but when an entire world can contribute to the creation of something instead of a small group or an individual, the result is always *capable* of being the greatest.

Anyone need a hanky after that? Bring tears to anyone? Or just tears of boredom? ^^

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
                      checkout supertuxkart.sourceforge.net

they're working on making it a pretty great game.
                      And the moral of the above post was: go open source games like SuperTuxKart! One day hopefully you'll be awesomer than Mario Kart.

I still think there needs to be a lot more focus on graphics engines though. Start off with Crystal Space or Ogre3D and build on an engine that already has decent graphics capabilities instead of trying to completely make your own engine from scratch. Well, I have no idea if SuperTuxKart is from scratch or not but I wouldn't be surprised.

I mean geez, open graphics drivers + open engine = all kinds of awesome things. If you could tinker with really impressive graphics easily, imagine all the artists you could draw in to your projects who'd actually have something to do finally. Right now artists can't do much really neat detailed stuff because there really isn't anything out there yet that challenges high-end closed source games very much. Once we get open source Oblivion, that's when things will start getting really crazy.
                      Last edited by Yfrwlf; 14 June 2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X