Ryan Gordon On Linux UT3: "still on its way"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    its a high quality game with an abused concept. The deathmatch cow can only be milked so much....
    Right, hence why games like World of Goo and such are great for Linux, it needs diversity. Most of the graphically advanced/complex/pretty games on Linux right now are shooters, so expanding the genres will loop in more of the "casual gamers", and if Linux can get some more big "hardcore" titles that'd really help as well. Here's looking at you, Blizzard and id, among others.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
      fix'd
      84% of the time I post on Phoronix you can bet im not sober

Comment

84% of the time I post on Phoronix you can bet im not sober
        Are any Canucks ever sober?

Comment

I just wondering that thing : for releasing windows titles, editors don't wait stabilization and bug fixing. They issue the title and then push patches out to fix the game.
          Why, on linux, should we wait 2 years for having a perfectly stabilized game, optimized and smooth ??

Ok, I'm glad that UT3 is "still on it's way" and glad also to think that we'll get a perfectly rock-stable client when it'll be out in 6 months (8 ? 12 months ?), but I'll much more glad to have a less optimized client with which I could play today. I'm not even talking about having had a "unstable" linux client 6 or 12 months ago. For example, the version that has been used for making the screenshots we saw on Icculus blog at the end of 2008 would have particularly pleased me...

Comment

I'm hoping the delay is because epic wants to have steam on linux before they release or valve is holding it up because they want a bigger catalog of linux games when/if they release. I know I'm an optimist

Comment

There will always be a "reason" for anything and everything.

The fact is, they could have released a Linux client if they wanted to. It's that simple. Linux wasn't highly regarded by Epic for whatever reasons, all you can do as to speculate why. The other UTs had great support, with a penguin on the box even, but that all seems to have been "silenced" even though Linux is growing.

Oh well, I'll stick with ETQW, id titles, older UT games, and the open source FPSes for my FPSing. No shortage of Linux FPSing. :P

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Are any Canucks ever sober?
                And here we are wondering why the rest of the world calls us overly nice and passive.

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                id titles, older UT games, and the open source FPSes for my FPSing. No shortage of Linux FPSing. :P
                sure, if you like deathmatch every day for the rest of your life. We seriously need some creativity in FOSS games.

UT3 brings some little things to the table. It essentially remains to be a deathmatch game tho.

Comment

sure, if you like deathmatch every day for the rest of your life. We seriously need some creativity in FOSS games.

UT3 brings some little things to the table. It essentially remains to be a deathmatch game tho.
                  There will probably always be a market for deathmatch.

What UT3 does is, IMO, perfect deathmatch. It is the ultimate in terms of beauty, balance, and fun for old school DM'ers like myself, while making it a nice, tidy and streamlined little package. There isn't a ton of base content, but the content that is there is extremely well done in every way. IMO UT3 > UT2k4 > Q3 > UT > Q2 > QW, etc.

The only thing UT3 really fails on, and this is true of alot of games since around 2004 and beyond, is scaleability. There are just still a ton of gamers running older hardware that cannot really enjoy the game the way it was meant to be. They did make a nice attempt, but no cigar.

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
                    There will probably always be a market for deathmatch.
                    Sure! but like in business the market is only so big. What we see here is a very fulfilled market, to the degree of over-saturation.

It is important to note that your post was in your opinion as you said. In my opinion UT3 is a piece of crap and i thank myself for picking ETQW over it.

Our opinions are worth "1".

Comment

UT3 is mediocre, that's correct, but QW:ET is not much better neither. UT99 still steals the cake on this one. It's not like DM can evolve at all. Make some maps, put some balanced guns and let it roll. All novel enhancements like vehicles or *god-help-us* double-jump do not add anything, in contrary, they destroy the simple formula ( as shown in most recent games with DM ). It's just funny how DM game creators try to improve a formula which can not be improved anymore. And because it can not be improved it's old, aged, and boring if rehashed all the time. And as mentioned, we don't need another DM game. If you want DM then play UT99 which is polished and classic and good DM.

Comment

Working...
                      X