Ryan Gordon On Linux UT3: "still on its way"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whizse View Post
    Patience, it's probably a good idea to hook the small, indie studios at first. Hopefully when/if they get larger they won't forget who used to buy their games
    unless they publish for PS3 online (download) or something similar the likelyhood of an indie going big time in todays world is slim to none.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      But those are too casual games, made by small studios, where are the AAA RTS, RPGs, racing, fighting games for linux??
      TA Spring, NetHack, Threaded Programming, Forums and Mailing Lists.

But really, if we just get a slow but steady stream of amazing games like World of Goo, I'll not shed a tear for the loss of eight million sequels and ten half-hearted new properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
        But really, if we just get a slow but steady stream of amazing games like World of Goo, I'll not shed a tear for the loss of eight million sequels and ten half-hearted new properties.
        Oh this is so true!

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
          Always surprised no one mentions this native upcoming Linux game very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxJaFy5DUzs
          Awesome, hexen!

I jest, it actually looks really nice. Downloading the penumbra demo now, thanks...

By the way, for windows users - Steam is doing a UT3 free weekend this weekend, so if you're struggling to maintain interest in this game maybe you should check it out.

I wish more game developers would start selling linux versions of games, instead of selling the windows version and offering a .bin in some dusty corner of their website.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
            Patience, it's probably a good idea to hook the small, indie studios at first. Hopefully when/if they get larger they won't forget who used to buy their games
            True. Shall we remember how DOOM was launched ? Linux didn't exist at those prehistoric times, and they launched it as shareware. I really see shareware in the same spirit as open-source today. I would figure that because of these shareware roots that ID now release each time for linux AND make the old engine available on open-source.

Those guys have really understood how the software will evolve within the next 10 years. Epic has understood just a little.

Comment

Unfortunately this won't work like this. This way Linux always gets the old titles, the aged titles. So the ID way helps us not to make Linux gaming stronger. That said neither does the Epic way.

Comment

Originally posted by jijitus View Post
                Why you want an UT3 client for Linux? The game is pretty much horrible, nothing like 2K4. It's an amateur-quality game that is not worth our time.
                This is a ridiculous thing to say. Amateur-quality?? Ok, show me one amateur game that could even sniff the quality of UT3.

I've played all of the UT series from day one, and UT3 is easily the best of them in every way possible.

As far as the engine, there is a good reason so many titles are using the U3 engine - it's fantasticaly beautiful, and runs extremely fast.

Comment

its a high quality game with an abused concept. The deathmatch cow can only be milked so much....

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    Unfortunately this won't work like this. This way Linux always gets the old titles, the aged titles. So the ID way helps us not to make Linux gaming stronger. That said neither does the Epic way.
                    Well said.
                    Concerning ID, they make available for linux their latest titles and open-source the older ones.
                    So, ID really helps linux gaming. However, I add to your comment that ID-only support is not enough for making linux gaming stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                      A cow can only be milked so long...
                      fix'd

Comment

Working...
                      X