Linux MMORPG Game Engine Sees Major Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    This is not how the internet works. It's a self organizing routing system. Routers can send packages through different routes depending on the current network situation.
    yessur

Furthermore less hops is not always faster..
    Absolutely right

If a hop in between becomes a lagger for one reason or another you might be faster taking a detour using faster and less stressed hops.
    In theory this is often the case and would be considered correct. The likelyhood it would be faster for me to connect to Miami before jumping on a line to Altanta would make sense in this situation. A MAJOR change like having to go to Vancouver before heading to Huston is unreasonable.

This result is that your packets take longer. How much? negligible unless retarded routes are used.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      negligible unless retarded routes are used.
      You don't want to know how retarded routers can be... especially those on ISPs.

Comment

You don't want to know how retarded routers can be... especially those on ISPs.
        No...you don't. I can vouch for that one. And I'll leave it at that...

Comment

Looks like your trace-route doesn't even leave Texas. Most people dont game in a hotel room they do it at home with purchased internet connections.

I have a stable 55.5 MS to Phoronix.com from Toronto. My ISP eats up 13 MS of that.

Heres a distance representation.
          I'll only add a bit more to that... Just because it doesn't leave Texas, is only happy happenstance. The fact that I've a 10-15ms latency there from home is even better happenstance, but I've seen latencies go to hell in a handbasket if the backbone's congested or if a router's hosed.

Moreover, I'll observe that I would have had a 45ms latency prior to getting my FiOS setup, even from Verizon's DSL group as it gets routed to the backbone differently. Just because it's a hotel ISP doesn't discount what I commented on.
          Last edited by Svartalf; 26 May 2009, 08:07 PM.

Comment

This result is that your packets take longer. How much? negligible unless retarded routes are used.
            You just told this to a computer systems engineer that deals with stuff that does call trace, monitoring, etc. on the Telcos' networks- not just Dragonlord... (ME!!)

It's not negligible and if you hit either MAE-East or MAE-west, you can just toss any real hope of sub 300ms latencies on that session to hell except at certain specific times of the day- and they don't always coincide with what you'd think they do.

You need to understand how TCP/IP ACTUALLY works, even with UDP traffic, before making comments along those lines (Hint: It doesn't work that way... )

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              You need to understand how TCP/IP ACTUALLY works, even with UDP traffic, before making comments along those lines (Hint: It doesn't work that way... )
              i hope u'd know i live in my happy place by now

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                You just told this to a computer systems engineer that deals with stuff that does call trace, monitoring, etc. on the Telcos' networks- not just Dragonlord... (ME!!)
                And at night time he becomes the Dark Knight.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  And at night time he becomes the Dark Knight.
                  Heh... I only wish... I'd love to have his neato toys...

Comment

Working...
                  X