Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux MMORPG Game Engine Sees Major Update

Phoronix: Linux MMORPG Game Engine Sees Major Update

Regnum Online, a Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Game that has a native Linux client offered by its developers (NGD Studios), has received a major overhaul. Regnum Online is one of the very few MMORPGs that has a native Linux client, but now its own game engine got a whole lot more powerful...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd much rather see news about Windows games that now works with Cedega or Wine. Perhaps even reviews of the installation process and benchmarks.

So what if the game is native on Linux? The games that are, are 10 years behind those on Windows.

It is psychological that the games are better, when it is native Linux. It doesn't matter a thing

I'd wish Linux users would recognize that Linux is not good for games, and stopped wanting it to be.

Comment

Now, you're going to get slaughtered for that comment. I'll try to be gentle

Nobody cares if game X works in Wine. Because it's card, driver, version, moon phase, patch, and game dependant. Oh, and mostly, because this is not a Windows Games site.

So what if the game is native on Linux? The games that are, are 10 years behind those on Windows.
      Since the game in the article, Regnum Online, also has a windows version, you're clearly causing a paradox here. If the same engine runs on both OSes, and somehow yet manages to be 10 years behind on the other.. String theory ain't enough.

The games may not be better because they run on linux. Yet an awful lot of people consider the #1 requirement for a game to be "it runs on my system" where system is console/pc/OS.

Linux is good for games. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Nobody cares if game X works in Wine. Because it's card, driver, version, moon phase, patch, and game dependant. Oh, and mostly, because this is not a Windows Games site.
        Which is why the reviews should be "Now game X is Cedega certified". That would be news worth for Linux users.

Since the game in the article, Regnum Online, also has a windows version, you're clearly causing a paradox here. If the same engine runs on both OSes, and somehow yet manages to be 10 years behind on the other.. String theory ain't enough.
        Look at it. Does either of them look like Rage from id Software or whatever the latest games are for Windows?

Yet an awful lot of people consider the #1 requirement for a game to be "it runs on my system" where system is console/pc/OS.
        If that was true, there would be a game market on Linux.

Comment

That's some amazing backwards logic here.

Downloaded the game yesterday again for some reason, has minor issues, but their support is responsive. Going to give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            I'd much rather see news about Windows games that now works with Cedega or Wine. Perhaps even reviews of the installation process and benchmarks.

It is psychological that the games are better, when it is native Linux. It doesn't matter a thing

I'd wish Linux users would recognize that Linux is not good for games, and stopped wanting it to be.
            well news flash buddy, there was a point that linux wasn't good as a desktop or even as a server. Now gnome/kde rock hard and last time i checked linux still monopolizes the server market. IBM could be considered one of the most conservative companies as far as business practices and even they can see a bright future.

And as stated in another thread i get +40 FPS in ETQW when using linux mint over windows xp. Thats very significant. I have to argue that linux, when given a chance is very good for games.

And as for the 10 years behind comment, is world of goo 10 years behind? sure its 2D and can run on a lower end system but that doesnt make it a boring game. I have played alot of new AAA titles and im sad to report that besides cosmetics, overall they suck. Take F.E.A.R 1 and 2 for example. FEAR 1 looked ok at the time but the gameplay made me want to cut myself. It was about that bad.

Comment

@ Louise: You react in the same way Christian Frank did here. I suggest you look there for your answers. Also I am to lazy to repeat all of the sensible things said there.

EDIT: btw I gotta say, this is one of the most hilarious arguments ever:
              Look at it. Does either of them look like Rage from id Software or whatever the latest games are for Windows?
              What is so funny is that RAGE will not be released this year and that when it is released, it will also be released on Linux in at least 6 months.
              Last edited by MaestroMaus; 23 May 2009, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                EDIT: btw I gotta say, this is one of the most hilarious arguments ever:
                What is so funny is that RAGE will not be released this year
                Rage is not the best looking game, even now, and not when it will be released. So read what I wrote again. Games that look like Rage.

when it is released, it will also be released on Linux in at least 6 months.
                Prove that! I'd advise you to be familiar with John Carmack's keynote from QuakeCon 2008

Comment

Prove that! I'd advise you to be familiar with John Carmack's keynote from QuakeCon 2008
                  How am I going to prove that when the game isn't released...

Comment

How am I going to prove that when the game isn't released...
                    That's your problem it was you that said it would get released for Linux

If you want Carmack's keynote, you will hear that he talks about Linux as a gaming platform, and that Rage will not get released for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X