Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remco
    replied
    Cedega is shit. Don't buy that crap. Everything Cedega does, Wine does better.

But nothing beats native ports, when they are done around the same time as the Windows port.

UT3 is not a great game. It won't last. It's not played that much anymore. It's sad. I used to look forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    It's, more often than not, only slightly harder than the OpenGL port (which is often largely a matter of plugging in a new video player engine, a new sound subsystem (if they didn't use a supported one with a license or something like OpenAL), and going looking for the oopses that using VC++ will let creep into your code.)- it's not quite as hard as one would think it is.
    correct me if im wrong but did you just say it isnt difficult to plug opengl in?

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    OpenGL based games can run very fast with wine, even before the Doom 3 Linux binary was out wine was able to run it - and not even slow. But games like UT3 don't have go a OpenGL renderer anymore - if it would have got one, it could run MUCH faster than using the D3D renderer using wine. To port a game without OpenGL render path is certainly more demanding than when it is already there. Not sure if they needed that already for a PS3 port, if so they could add it to an update too...
    It's, more often than not, only slightly harder than the OpenGL port (which is often largely a matter of plugging in a new video player engine, a new sound subsystem (if they didn't use a supported one with a license or something like OpenAL), and going looking for the oopses that using VC++ will let creep into your code.)- it's not quite as hard as one would think it is.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    well lets make a new initiative...

games for systems that dont give you a cerebral haemorrhage.

Leave a comment:

• dammarin
    replied
    Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    You can forget Fallout, it's signed with the new keep the games @ Windows brand "Games for Windows (LIVE)".
    Well, it is out on the PS3. Even the expansions, which were X360/Win only in the past, are coming out for the Playstation now.

Does a game being part of the "Games for Windows" initiative preclude it from coming out on other platforms?
    Last edited by dammarin; 23 May 2009, 05:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tares
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Sounds like what they have been saying about Duke Nukem for over a decade now.
    yeah ;-) got the same thought :>

too bad my ut3 box wont be used again :/ well i played it for a while on windows, but... i want it on my ubuntu box

Leave a comment:

• MaestroMaus
    replied
    Originally posted by dammarin View Post
    ...Bethesda with Fallout/Elder Scrolls would be cool as well...
    You can forget Fallout, it's signed with the new keep the games @ Windows brand "Games for Windows (LIVE)".

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Odin View Post
    btw. I asked Ryan C. Gordon what the status of the linux and mac port of UT3 is and he answered: "still on its way. Being poked and prodded and optimized and stuff."
    Sounds like what they have been saying about Duke Nukem for over a decade now.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    unfortunately that means F%$# all after a year and a half

Leave a comment:

• Odin
    replied
    Originally posted by Louise View Post
    I don't understand the hype about games for Linux. So what if ONE game is ported to Linux. That doesn't change anything. Linux will not be a gaming platform, as long as Windows is installed on 90% of all desktops, and the GPU drivers are optimized for Windows.

Solution: Buy Cedega, end of problem
    One game is one game - It's one step.

Cedega is closed source and ATI isn't officially supported...two major disadvantages.

btw. I asked Ryan C. Gordon what the status of the linux and mac port of UT3 is and he answered: "still on its way. Being poked and prodded and optimized and stuff."

Last edited by Odin; 22 May 2009, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X