550 Days Later, UT3 Linux Appears Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my school and game dev

Schools? Are we talking primary and secondary education or college/university level here because if its the former then the school at which I work caters quite well for that, but most schools don't have an IT tech hell-bent on going 100% FOSS so its not my school is probably not typical

We are sadly still Windows only on the whole like most schools but to cater for homebrew and a primary/secondary level introduction to games development we have both gamemaker 7 which is proprietary, non-free and Windows only but provides an easy GUI 'modern day click n' play' mode of games dev but on the FOSS side of things we also have installed python, pygame, pyglet which allows you to create simple, cross-platform games very easily. You can see many great examples of what people can achieve with python/pygame/pyglet in only a week on the pyweek site and I would also highly recommend you check out the games of one pymike such as his Adventure Island/ Wonderboy tribute Bubbman or his geometric shooter GeoStrike.

Of course, pygame is certainly no DX/D3D 11 killer quite yet, but thankfully we are seeing a number of good game engines, both free and non-free emerging. I already mentioned Unigine but python fans can already develop modern looking games via panda3d for example IF they can find and understand what documentation that does exist, which is an acknowledged problem with panda3d as it stands. Python uses can also use soya3d engine that was used in slune and balazar brothers.

To paraphase his sweatiness:

DOCUMENTATION DOCUMENTATION DOCUMENTATION!

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
      Schools? Are we talking primary and secondary education or college/university level here because if its the former then the school at which I work caters quite well for that, but most schools don't have an IT tech hell-bent on going 100% FOSS so its not my school is probably not typical
      I was referring to universities and game development schools and media arts.
      Last edited by deanjo; 23 May 2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        I was referring to universities and game development schools.
        Universities are more open to FOSS. They tend to teach the fundamentals of graphics programming, and then use OpenGL in the practicals. For all its faults, there is nothing wrong with OpenGL in that department. You can learn anything using OpenGL.

Specific game development schools do tend to teach Microsoft technology. But that's reasonable, since they try to teach you the specific tools you need in the business. And currently that's Microsoft, sadly. If the tide ever turns to OpenGL, they will switch to OpenGL in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          Universities are more open to FOSS. They tend to teach the fundamentals of graphics programming, and then use OpenGL in the practicals. For all its faults, there is nothing wrong with OpenGL in that department. You can learn anything using OpenGL.

Specific game development schools do tend to teach Microsoft technology. But that's reasonable, since they try to teach you the specific tools you need in the business. And currently that's Microsoft, sadly. If the tide ever turns to OpenGL, they will switch to OpenGL in an instant.
          openGL is just one part of API's needed to port or develop for linux. Even the minimal teaching they get for OGL is dwarfed in comparison to DX teachings.

Comment

But with DX you need to relearn nearly the entire API whenever they bring out a new version. With OpenGL if you learned it once you learned it forever.

Comment

worst part is, I'm not sure Epic understands that one of the reasons UT3 did NOT sell is that there WAS no Linux Client nor Linux Tools. Epic basically screwed over a large portion of the content creation base that had upped and moved away from Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Saist View Post
                worst part is, I'm not sure Epic understands that one of the reasons UT3 did NOT sell is that there WAS no Linux Client nor Linux Tools. Epic basically screwed over a large portion of the content creation base that had upped and moved away from Windows.
                Hardly, the game in it's first incarnation simply sucked. Nothing more, nothing less. Content creators still largely use windows based apps for games. No linux port or tools is a footnote in the reasons why it didn't sell well. The reasons you see older releases being played by a large percentage of linux users is more from the fact that people using windows have simply moved on to other titles where the choice on linux is miniscule and people play what they have available.
                Last edited by deanjo; 23 May 2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Well, since alot of the Linux users already has bought this game, they have already earned some cash from us, and the sales might not for this very reason be that high.

Aside from that, I am pissed at how much bullshitting a company can get away with, to bad I did'nt kept the recipt so I could fight a little to get my money back.

Anyway, now I don't really want to have anything to do with any games that is made from the Unreal Engine, i believe I already have about 5 games from Tom Clansy on PS 3, and UT 3 on both PS 3 and PC. I just hope the Tom Clansy francais will use another engine in the future, their games are really good.

Comment

Originally posted by gibanji View Post
                    I just hope the Tom Clansy francais will use another engine in the future, their games are really good.
                    We will just forget HAWX ever existed.

Comment

To no support Linux is a matter while to fool Linux users is totally a different one. I'm not going to buy this game even IF comes for Linux tomorrow! A shame to Epic for not have the nuts to tell the truth!

Comment

Working...
                      X