550 Days Later, UT3 Linux Appears Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r0ck View Post
    I don't really want to add insult to injury but the only thing stupid about that was you guys buying this before Linux support was confirmed to be working. I wanted to buy UT3 and even pre-ordered it but when I heard they would ship the Linux support as a "patch" afterwards I cancelled and it seems that would have been the right thing to do. I'm still very fond of that whole "someone is paying them to keep it back" conspiracy theory. It works on several consoles and there was even a running build showed off by the dev so what's the problem other than someone doesn't want it to come out. Someone ask icculus about it ... if he doesn't rip your head off maybe we get another excuse to help ourselves over the months until the next article of this kind is posted on phoronix.
    Yeap, I bought it in good faith there would be a linux version since there track record was fine. Its prolly a shit game, from what I've seen of it anyway. The powers that be not even saying anything official about the linux version are really a bunch of dicks. If you have created a community of some kind you should at least respond to it a little. Icculus, bless his little heart, is just a mercenary for hire. He seems to enjoy his work, and is quite good at it. He is either unable (the only reason could be profit here), or unwilling to comment on these work in progress things. So it just comes off as a whole go away and fuck yourself, well let you know when we have something to say.

Also phoronix fills a niche that no other web site has been competent to fill as of yet, I wouldn't mind seeing some competition to it. Of course there are slow news days and weeks so they fill it up with non-stories like this one. I really don't even mind so much because when there is news in the linux-gaming/graphics front they cover it fairly well. However the guy is obviously trying to make a living here and the more flame bait stories he does like this get more people coming to the forums and linking to the site and clicking on ads. Wham, bam, thank you ma`am.

I do like phoronix and will continue to frequent it, however I doubt anyone gives a crap about solaris or gtk combobox benchmarks, I do cringe when I see these 9 page stories about 75% of which is menial benchmark graphs that arn't doing anyone any good that isn't a developer.

cheers

Comment

OpenGL based games can run very fast with wine, even before the Doom 3 Linux binary was out wine was able to run it - and not even slow. But games like UT3 don't have go a OpenGL renderer anymore - if it would have got one, it could run MUCH faster than using the D3D renderer using wine. To port a game without OpenGL render path is certainly more demanding than when it is already there. Not sure if they needed that already for a PS3 port, if so they could add it to an update too...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        OpenGL based games can run very fast with wine, even before the Doom 3 Linux binary was out wine was able to run it - and not even slow. But games like UT3 don't have go a OpenGL renderer anymore - if it would have got one, it could run MUCH faster than using the D3D renderer using wine. To port a game without OpenGL render path is certainly more demanding than when it is already there. Not sure if they needed that already for a PS3 port, if so they could add it to an update too...

IIRC, when it came to the OGL renderers in the UT series it always has been a "add-on" and marked as experimental and unsupported. It's too bad because their OGL renderer was often better then the officially supported D3D renderer, of course that was when OGL stayed in competition with DX and before it decided to take it's long ass break in development allowing DX to strengthen it's position with supporting the latest hardware capabilities.
        Last edited by deanjo; 22 May 2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          I don't understand the hype about games for Linux. So what if ONE game is ported to Linux. That doesn't change anything. Linux will not be a gaming platform, as long as Windows is installed on 90% of all desktops, and the GPU drivers are optimized for Windows.

Solution: Buy Cedega, end of problem
          One game is one game - It's one step.

Cedega is closed source and ATI isn't officially supported...two major disadvantages.

btw. I asked Ryan C. Gordon what the status of the linux and mac port of UT3 is and he answered: "still on its way. Being poked and prodded and optimized and stuff."

Last edited by Odin; 22 May 2009, 07:43 PM.

Comment

unfortunately that means F%$# all after a year and a half

Comment

Originally posted by Odin View Post
              btw. I asked Ryan C. Gordon what the status of the linux and mac port of UT3 is and he answered: "still on its way. Being poked and prodded and optimized and stuff."
              Sounds like what they have been saying about Duke Nukem for over a decade now.

Comment

Originally posted by dammarin View Post
                ...Bethesda with Fallout/Elder Scrolls would be cool as well...
                You can forget Fallout, it's signed with the new keep the games @ Windows brand "Games for Windows (LIVE)".

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Sounds like what they have been saying about Duke Nukem for over a decade now.
                  yeah ;-) got the same thought :>

too bad my ut3 box wont be used again :/ well i played it for a while on windows, but... i want it on my ubuntu box

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                    You can forget Fallout, it's signed with the new keep the games @ Windows brand "Games for Windows (LIVE)".
                    Well, it is out on the PS3. Even the expansions, which were X360/Win only in the past, are coming out for the Playstation now.

Does a game being part of the "Games for Windows" initiative preclude it from coming out on other platforms?
                    Last edited by dammarin; 23 May 2009, 05:22 AM.

Comment

well lets make a new initiative...

games for systems that dont give you a cerebral haemorrhage.

Comment

Working...
                      X