Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking To The Developers Of The Unigine Engine

Phoronix: Talking To The Developers Of The Unigine Engine

While the Unigine game engine may not be as widely known or used as the Unreal or id Tech engines, its capabilities and features have been increasing at an incredible rate. Last year there were two tech demos released by Unigine Corp to demonstrate the capabilities of their proprietary engine -- both of which were very impressive -- but since then their software stack has picked up a slew of new features like improved physics and multiplayer support. This year they are slated to release a new in-house game / tech demo that will be even more impressive and will go head-to-head with the latest high-end commercial game engines. Through all of their game engine development work, they continue to support Linux gaming, so we recently carried out an interview with them to learn more about their current and future work.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was hoping to read something about how they handled the parallelization problem, now that we are going to have more and more cores.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
      I was hoping to read something about how they handled the parallelization problem, now that we are going to have more and more cores.
      They said they were going to use "a heap of micro-threads in the engine" for DX11 support, there's basically nothing more to say about it

EDIT: oh yeah, interesting interview by the way, keep up the good work

Comment

Very nice interview, it's cool how they want to support 3D applications for Linux

Comment

Great interview, thanks. Nice to see Linux used as a core development platform, rather than an afterthought.

Comment

Very interesting interview. I had some trouble staying focused because the developers, being Russian, did not choose the best words sometimes (unavoidable vs inevitable) and because my mind cracked Russian reversals jokes.
            But joking aside, it was a good interview, and I want to buy their products.

Comment

Interesting to see linux being used as the development platform. Looking forward to trying games using the Unigine Engine.

Originally posted by superppl View Post
              I had some trouble staying focused because the developers, being Russian, did not choose the best words sometimes (unavoidable vs inevitable)
              At least their English is better then my Russian!

Comment

Thanks for the interview Michael, Denis, Alexander. Very exciting to have such a project being developed on Linux.

The screenshot on page 2 (the fountain in the courtyard) looks like it could suit a beautiful Syndicate-style game.

Looking forward to the first Unigine based game, definitely buying that one.

Comment

Yes it looks like a great engine, and yes I'd buy any games made using it (which were good games mind you).

.. BUT, I think we need an open sourced engine similar to this.
                  Something open source which can make money if the end product is sold (or the developer gets money for this product) while the engine is available for people to freely develop on and release nicer free games.

I just find it a bit disappointing when something could be so much more.

They are doing nice work though.

Comment

They could release a free sandbox bundled with some tools in spirit of Garry's Mod. That could get a lot of attention from both linux and windows gamers and modders. Then would we could have entire stupid (but fun) campaigns where we use availble materials to make a fortress to hold off hordes of zombies, and the only tools at our disposal are the laws of physics and some manipulation guns.
                    Of course, the tools would have to be fairly straight forward, well documented, and capable otherwise it would end up being a huge turn-off for would be gamers.

Comment

Working...
                    X