Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Steam Deck Docking Station Hands-On

Phoronix: Valve Steam Deck Docking Station Hands-On

Last week Valve launched their much anticipated Steam Deck Docking Station as the official "dock" for the Steam Deck to allow connecting up to two external displays, power, additional USB ports, and Gigabit Ethernet. I've been testing out the Steam Deck Docking Station and it's been working out well but on the pricier side compared to alternatives.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VRR over MST? Finally there's a dock that can do it :O none of the laptop docks I've tried could

But the supported resolutions / rates indicate lack of DSC support, which is unfortunate

Comment

Are the firmware updates only possible through SteamOS or are they available through something more widely used like fwupd?

Comment

Everyone keeps saying this Dock is pricey, but then compares it to Dock that have one Display output. It is comparable to other dual Display output hubs and includes a second Steam Deck charger. If you want/need that second Display output, it is a great deal.

Comment

It should probably be mentioned in the article that the Steam Deck Dock includes the PD charger as well. Those cheaper options do not. The old linked JSAUX one is even USB 2.0 / 100 mbps ethernet. Then there's VRR support, etc. Yes, you can get cheaper, but as you get closer to the same features, you also get closer to the same price. I'd rather reward Valve to help ensure they keep investing in Decks as a product line.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
            Everyone keeps saying this Dock is pricey, but then compares it to Dock that have one Display output. It is comparable to other dual Display output hubs and includes a second Steam Deck charger. If you want/need that second Display output, it is a great deal.
            Indeed. For a first party dock, this thing is cheap. First party USB-C and Thunderbolt docks from laptop OEMs can cost hundreds of dollars. Even a little USB C travel hub from StarTech is almost $80 with no charger. The listed Anker unit is a single display 4K30 with no ethernet and no PD charger. It should be obvious why it is significantly cheaper.

Comment

Does it work with the Switch?

Comment

Originally posted by calica View Post
                Does it work with the Switch?
                Who cares, when Switch has much better and robust solution, which simply slides-in, using bottom usb-c port (instead of bending and connecting fixed cable, that's begging to break after time).
                I guess that with firmware upgrades, etc Valve will make it as compatible as possible, but do you really want docking station for NDS, that will be more fragile, inconvenient(forcing to put NDS in reverse, upside-down position and connecting cable?)

Comment

Steam Deck specs:
                  USB-C with DisplayPort 1.4 Alt-mode support; up to 8K 60Hz or 4K @120Hz, USB 3.2 Gen 2y

Steam Deck Dock specs:
                  Supports up to 4k 60hz, or 1440p 120hz
                  So this IMHO sucks, that that dock is not up to specs of Steam Deck.
                  You can argue games would never run smoothly at 4K@120Hz, but I guess that many would will(especially with FSR or integer upscaling). and you may want to watch to want some videos at 8K@60Hz or use it to test monitors/cables if there's problem with your other setup.

I do wonder if the main problem is MST chip, and y getting rid if it in design, would unblock full SteamDeck's output capabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                    Steam Deck specs:
                    I do wonder if the main problem is MST chip, and y getting rid if it in design, would unblock full SteamDeck's output capabilities?
                    Pretty sure the problem is you guys want to have the maximum display output out of a dock that supports TWO video outs + ethernet + USB + power delivery over one cable

Not gonna happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X